Pinetab-v, a JH7110 powered tablet

Another welcome addition to the risc-v family. I may well be asking for one for my birthday…

Edit: I originally thought this had no WiFi or BT, but the boards pictured here have one (bottom left), nice

2 Likes

Let’s hope they will share the development effort.
https://twitter.com/StarFiveTech/status/1646057908164251648

It’s a really bare-metal device, but with this SOC I suspect it will be well supported by the community with time. And pine are being honest about what you get right now: “Powered by unicorns and pixie dust.” Lol.

Not sure of your Twitter link… I don’t birdsite any more so didn’t click.

1 Like

Thank you @mzs, much appreciated. I’ve favorited, boosted and followed!
@easytarget@social.makerforums.info :wink:

Hello,
Pre order of the pinetab-V now opened on pine64 store :wink:

1 Like

@easytarget So, which online-stores could I pre-order it from in Chinese Mainland?

Absolutely no idea, I’m in the Netherlands. So I’m afraid you will have to research this yourself :disappointed:.

Maybe contact sales@pine64.org and ask them what ordering process you can use.

3 Likes

I have pre-ordered it. Thx.

2 Likes

hello,
i just received my PineTav-V today. Nice tablet, a lot to learn using it.

3 Likes

Some images out of the box :

3 Likes

Looks great, I wish I’d ordered one in time, they are out of stock now, :frowning:

However, there are other options coming; eg teasers of risc-v licheebooks and possibly a tablet from them too.

2 Likes

I would love a JH8100 based laptop! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

This floated past on /r/risc-v; being teased on the birdshite, oops, birdsite, dammit, X!

https://twitter.com/SipeedIO/status/1673988482241531904

2 Likes

The kernel is 5.10.113 for the T-Head TH1520, the only people that appear to be upstreaming the Linux kernel for that SoC seem to be the Beagle-V people and it has the pre-ratified binary and assembly incompatible Vector 0.7.1 extension. I will skip it, Because they are at least a year behind the StarFive people in their upstream. And Beagle-V have a history of stopping in the middle of upstreaming once they have shipped their peak number of units. But they do do some fine work right up until they stop.

2 Likes

Something I’ve noticed also happening with my mangopi mq-pro, in theory the D1 is fully upstreamed, in practice the only usable GUI image is a 2021 armbian image. And I’m not sure the built in x264/5 decoder will ever work in the gui.

It’s important to remember and appreciate that StarFive are doing a really good job pro-actively upstreaming their JH7110 bits.

3 Likes

Even the RPi is not upstreamed to the mainline Linux kernel. They deal with all the weird Pi quirks with their own kernel, and support their weird proprietary VideoCore with binaries only that talk using mailboxes with the OS. Because the VideoCore is in charge of everything and must be protected at all times running its own private binaries, it is almost like a potential backdoor :slight_smile:

I have to say that i am totally in awe of the work done by the StarFive people. Not everything is fully in place (yet), but everything is always moving forward. The source code and documentation are both always improving. A lot done. More to do!

2 Likes

@SkonsFr got mine Pinteab V the other day too,it seems pine64 didn’t ship the debug board in my package, it took me sometime to make gnome working on it, still need to figure out how to make built-in speaker/screen backlight working

3 Likes

2 Likes