Case for visionfive2 to buy

nice

Just received this case with fan from China, AliExpress:

Comes with 30mm fan, standoffs. I added some felt feet under the case to get some air flow to the SSD cooling vents underneath. Fan plugs into GPIO. Mine has a frosted finish rather than transparent.

4 Likes

Assembled. I mistakenly put the fan in upside down, so next step is to take the top off and reinstall the fan so it blows upwards. The fan doesn’t move much air being so small. I was getting a cpu temp of 47C while idle on the Debian desktop.

1 Like

I printed the vented 2.5mm hole version of this case

https://www.printables.com/model/360115-visionfive-2-snap-together-case

I’m happy with it after a couple of small mods. The 3 mm base didn’t fit my board and the SD card slot was obstructed. The 2.5mm mostly fit… I had to snap off 2 of the supports from the bottom case and I had to shave off the opposing lips (of the snapped-off supports) on the top case for my 1.3b board to fit in. Maybe it was designed for the VF2 1.2a? Do they require different cases?

Just figured out that the frosted finish is just a protective film. Boy do I feel stupid. I replaced the fan with a 50mm unit that moves MUCH more air. I also printed a new side panel that has an air duct built in so that air can be drawn from below the board. Let me know if you’d like the STL for that part. Getting much lower cpu temp, 39C while idle in the Debian desktop.