No new images - is VisionFive2 dead?

as there is no new images or mainstream installs … is VF2 dead ?

2 Likes

VF2 To live。
Armbian Linux (2024.8.29)
Fedora 40
OpenSUSE for VisionFive 2 (2024.8.23)
ubuntu24.04 for VisionFive 2

Rumor has it that there will be debian-2409 this month

3 Likes

A lot is now in mainline kernel. Distribution are making there own images with own kernels.

Here an example: https://youtu.be/OxbkgMJXKOk

only the GPU drivers are really missing. (and Camara and display)

3 Likes

upstream’s kernel is still missing some patchs. :face_exhaling: JH7110 Upstream Status | RVspace

And… Yes… GPU is missing driver… :face_exhaling:

4 Likes

I use mine daily. I haven’t upgraded since it was new early this year. It works well. I have able to compile and use the TADS 3 Interactive Fiction development system, something I have yet to do on any version of Raspberry Pi 5. I see no need to upgrade at this point.

4 Likes

My board runs Home Assistent, mqtt and Influxdb 24/7. I’m running Gentoo Linux and updating the packages daily. But stuck with kernel 6.6.20. I doubt if there will be a newer patched kernel someday.

So my board is fully allive :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m running Ubuntu 24.04 on mine and it’s running 6.8 kernel. Boots directly from m.2

RC

3 Likes

v6.11 is out today and none of the missing patches were included.
What I don’t understand is that some patches seemed “pretty simple” and the author requested for some review but couldn’t push it to mainline in 6 months.
Today the 2 weeks 6.12 merge window starts… let’s hope!

2 Likes

I’m not sure why they’re running such an old kernel. I’m running 6.8.0-44 on my Ubuntu 24.04 machine. Works awesome!

RC