Flashing OpenWRT OS image on StarFive vision 2 board

We have compiled and built the openWRT image. We have completed the steps given in this link up to step 8 (Flashed the image into the SD card).

The board is not booting up successfully.

Also we have flashed with SPL and uBoot files from this link which did not work. The device didn’t boot.

please guide us with detailed steps or suggest us troubleshooting methods. We are curious to know what might have gone wrong.

thanks

Did you watch the serial console while trying to boot? That should give the necessary information on what went wrong. Could you please provide that output?

1 Like

maybe this can help you.

1 Like

hi @Nightwulf

We see nothing in the serial console on boot or after. Also green LED was always off in this OS image.

I also tried flashing a debian image and check the serial console. When I tried that, the board did not boot with pin-10 connected. I was able to connect 10th pin only after powering up the board. Is this common?

1 Like

Please take a look at the partition table

But that would mean, that no valid spl/u-boot is found. Btw, the green LED comes up when a working kernel is loaded, not before.
Are you sure you are running in SD mode and have valid partitions 1+2 on your SD? Or in QSPL mode and then having the same, valid partitions in the flash memory?
Oh…and are you using the correct UART pins (6,8 and 10)?
Sorry if those questions sound stupid but sometimes one overlooks the obvious :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Nightwulf ,

Please take a look at this partition. This was something we have after flashing a debian image.

@Nightwulf

And flashing with OpenWRT image. Is this fine? Is this how it should look like or am I doing something wrong?

How am I supposed to use this SD card to flash OpenWRT image that would require 2+1 partition?
Partition is something that comes with the OS image, isn’t it? Should I do something to change it?

The partitions themselves look correct. The question is, whether the contents are ok. And if not a single bit of information is shown on the serial lines, that tells me, that the BROM loader doesn’t even find a valid SPL. So there is either a worng setting on the DIP switches side or the partitions doesn’t contain SPL/U-Boot, as they should.
Could help do read the contents back and compare them to the two files provided on the release pages.
Could be, that after that still OpenWRT doesn’t boot (I don’t know how that is built…I know what it basically is but not how it boots). But at least you should then see some information on the serial console telling you, what is wrong.

1 Like

We have 3 files for this.

• openwrt-jh71x0-generic-visionfive2-v1.3b-ext4-sdcard.img (generated using link)
    SPL and U-boot files
  • u-boot-spl.bin.normal.out
  • visionfive2_fw_payload.img

We are writing them on 3 different partitions.

Is this how we must do it? Is there any commands that you could suggest to write these on SD card properly?

If you say you write “openwrt…img” to a single partition, than that is at least one mistake. That image contains all four partitions and has to be written to the card device, not a single partition.
e.g. dd if=/dev/sdX... and NOT dd if=/dev/sdX1..... Exactly as it is stated in nr. 8 of the link you just provided.

1 Like

thanks @Nightwulf

This is the command we used to flash sd card, please correct the command if I am wrong.

dd if=openwrt-jh71x0-generic-visionfive2-v1.3b-ext4-sdcard.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
flag=direct
dd if=u-boot-spl.bin.normal.out of=/dev/sdb1 oflag=direct
dd if=visionfive2_fw_payload.img of=/dev/sdb2 oflag=direct

1 Like

maybe the spl and uboot should be flash into QSPI flash,not the sdb1 and sdb2 ? And the boot mode should be QSPI.

2 Likes

Since the image does not include SPL and U-Boot, Nor Flash needs to have SPL and U-Boot flashed and should boot with QSPI Nor Flash.

This is from the document. @kira @Nightwulf

May I know how to do it? Is there any commands for that?

1 Like

you can use debian image boot from sdcard boot mode,and then use flashcp to update or use a tftp.
This link will help you updating the spl and uboot of flash.
Updating SPL and U-Boot of Flash (rvspace.org)

3 Likes

As kira said…and then be sure, that both DIP switches are in the “off” position for booting that image. RGPIO 0 and 1 needs to be off to boot via QSPL-Flash.

1 Like

Hi @Nightwulf and @kira
Earlier I had an issue with serial converter. After fixing it, now I am able to see the logs in the serial console if I boot with the debian image. I have copied uboot and spl file as u have mentioned above and then I tried to boot with OpenWRT image. It is actually showing no logs in the serial console. The screen is just blank. If the SD card is removed, I am getting the below response (I removed it twice). This proves, the board is up and running, but what does this blank screen suggest? Any insights on this?

by your log, i find your boot mode is eMMC,the boot mode of QSPI needs RGPIO 0 and 1 to be low.

1 Like

thanks @kira,

Looks like the OpenWRT image is working now. But the green onboard LED is still off. What does this prove? Am I missing something? Or regardless of the onboard LED state, I can consider this as a complete installation?

this is the logs I m getting in serial port connection

1 Like

For me, that seems to be a kernel issue. Might it be, that the watchdog is not enabled or the LED support. Perhaps @kira has more detailed insight about that.

1 Like