What is the PCIE used for?

What are PCIE devices used for in JH7110? And how?

I know the USB 3.0 device uses them. And this is probably done through USB device’s driver. But which other devices use PCIE bus? And is it done through driver code or is it somehow a user controlled process? Do some devices require PCIE driver to work?

NVMe SSD

3 Likes

Someone did manage to get a ATI Radeon R9 290 running

2 Likes
  1. For an external GPU connection through a riser. I used this riser model:
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832647837409.html,
    and two graphic cards with the same GPU - ASUS EAH5450 SILENT DI/1GD3/LP and MSI Sapphire HD5450 1G DDR3. Both works well (HDMI, video + sound) with the patched driver. It is possible to smoothly view FullHD video (mkv, avi).
  2. For additional peripherals connection through the ASM1184e PCIe switch:
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832681712573.html.
    The following devices were connected simultaneously (using mainline drivers):

All devices are x1 Gen2 (5GT/s).

3 Likes

Hmm, some of those expansions look like something you would plug in a desktop computer and not into a single board computer…

Modern SBC can be the basis for a NAS, router, or multi-screen security system. Besides, I wanted to get more or less universal hardware platform for software development, debugging and testing.

We should mention perhaps, that newer GPUs (at least AMD ones) need floating point enabled in the kernel which is available from 6.10 up, I guess? Or was it 6.9?

1 Like

Copyed from tomshardware:

PCIe (peripheral component interconnect express) is an interface standard for connecting high-speed components. Every desktop PC motherboard has a number of PCIe slots you can use to add GPUs (aka video cards aka graphics cards), RAID cards, Wi-Fi cards or SSD (solid-state drive) add-on cards. The types of PCIe slots available in your PC will depend on the motherboard you buy.

All external devices are need a interface to connect.
USB is desgined to hotplug devices in one-port, but it is have a large latency.
PCI-E have a lot of high proformance feature. eg. direct read/write device’s memory.

1 Like

The PCIE lanes go through a riser to an RX 580 to play supertuxkart on max settings :grin:

1 Like