VisionFive 2 and PoE

Reading VisionFive 2 - open source quad-core RISC-V dev board by StarFive Tech — Kickstarter it says that PoE is supported but requires a separate poe hardware module - does this mean something like a hat (like how it is with the raspberry pi 4), or just a poe supply?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a 4-pin PoE header, with a PoE hardware module, you can connect and power the VisionFive2 with just one network cable。

1 Like

Would a PoE+ HAT that was designed for a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and later models work ? The positioning of the 4-pin PoE header in your image above looks to have the exact same placement as the J14 header on a RPi 3B+.and later models relative to the 40 pin GPIO header.

The original RPi PoE HAT modules were Type 1:
12.95 Watt at powered device 802.3af (802.3at Type 1), PoE
The current RPi PoE+ HAT modules are Type 2:
25.50 Watt at powered device 802.3at Type 2, PoE+
Does the VisionFive 2 board require more power:
51 Watt at powered device 802.3bt Type 3, 4PPoE or PoE++

The kickstarter website says that 5V DC @ 3+ amps (15+ watts) are required if powered through the GPIO pin(s). But it also says that up to 30 watts are required if powered through the USB-C connector.

My questions are:

1. Would a current RPI PoE+ HAT module (Type 2) work on a VisionFive 2 board ?
  2. Or is a different PoE module (e.g. Type 3) required for a VisionFive 2 board ?

VisionFive 2 is designed to be compatible with Raspberry Pi and can be used in theory, but has not been tested yet.

2 Likes

Interesting, is this the same as the VisionFive1? I have a spare Raspberry Pi 4 PoE hat (gen 1) that I could test it on.

Yes, there is also this POE header on VisionFive1, maybe you can try it.

Hey @balupton, did you test the PoE HAT? What are the results?