Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has a RISC-V version - anyone got this running on VisionFive V1?

@jershell I notice something wired and I don’t know if it VisionFive limitation or Ubuntu 22.04

I cannot get IPv6 from the router and I tried everything from edit netplan to ifconfig command

If you’re referring to RH in general, that’s just the speed they move. Fedora is faster tracking, but that’s just not the market they serve.

If you’re referring to the RISC-V build specifically, it’s based on F33. They even have a nightly build of this 2020 release that tracks updated versions of criticial packages. It’s indeed odd that we’re piling onto an unreleased OS/arch combo that’s well past EOL.

In a post somewhere, they said they’ve kept that deeply frozen to avoid having too many moving pieces. When Silicon, specs, compilers, kernels, and all the packages are all changing weekly, debugging can be tough. So they’ve provided a long-term build to emulate installed base. That helps keep everyone on an agreed-upon ABI, for example. I read somewhere that Fedora group was working on rebasing to a contemporary version, but publicly visible progress on the repo seems to have halted this year.

I’ve had success with the official images from GitHub - starfive-tech/Fedora_on_StarFive. Needing to manually un-zstd the images before feeding them to Balena is unfortunate.

I don’t know if more coding volunteers would help. It’s not clear what the issue is. There are details that don’t inspire confidence.

By default Ubuntu setups a link-local ipv6 simular fe80::bla::bla::bla
Can you use the linklocal address for a test?
For do it
From your device run ping6 link-local-ipv6-of-your-router%device-name
Example
ping6 F80:000218:e7ff:fe16:fb97%wlan0

If it will work it means ipv6 working.
And need looks to protocol that u use for configuration for accepting ipv6. Radvd or dhcp6 or another.
I tested ipv6 a link local and had success. I can test client, but for this i should know which a client.

I tried many ways, first set static ip using netplan from my router and that work for ping vf and I cannot use to ping ipv6.google.com for example
then I tried IPv6 from route48.org and WireGuard without success

Okay. I checked it and it working.
I used a network-manager.

1. Create a file wg0.conf. For example vi /home/user/wg0.conf and paste wireguard config from route48.
    After import to network-manager by command
    nmcli connection import type wireguard file ./wg0.conf
  2. Allow use wireguard type of connection for network-manager. By defaut its not allowed. You can see it by the command nmcli dev status
    wg0 wireguard unmanaged --
    For fix it neccessery change configuration of network-manger by edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    on this
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true

[keyfile]
unmanaged-devices=*,except:type:wifi,except:type:wireguard

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
  1. Restart network-manager service. sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager
  2. NetworkManager up tunnel automaticaly. Reconnect it by commands
    nmcli connection down wg0 and nmcli connection up wg0
  3. Check it.
    nmcli dev status
    and
    wg show
    Look at this moment
    transfer: 10.63 KiB received, 9.46 KiB sent
    Some packanges transfered and receivered.
    now we can run ping6 ipv6.google.com or curl -6 https://ipv6.icanhazip.com
    Also u can disable an autoconnect
    nmcli connection modify wg0 connection.autoconnect 0

ok, I will try it connect from NetworkManager ( I tried wg-quick )

second question if possible
Can I know why VF didn’t get IPv6 address from my router like other devices

I dont know. Configuration depend on protocol. What you use a protocol radvd or dhcp6?

I think my router use SLAAC

Hi~ @jershell, are you busy? Could you paste the sha256sum of two files above for me? thanks.

BTW, How do I make the newest kernel for myself? Can you make a detailed tutorial for us in your spare time? or create a scripts repository on GitHub.
appreciate sincerely.
:heart::penguin:

After I install Ubuntu 22.04 from ubuntu-server-22.04-riscv64-visionfive-29042022.zip, the upgrade command crashes.
The log is as follows:

$ sudo apt full-upgrade -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  python3-distupgrade ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up flash-kernel (3.104ubuntu12) ...
Using DTB: starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
Couldn't find DTB jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb on the following paths: /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs /usr/l
ib/linux-image- /lib/firmware//device-tree/
Installing  into /boot/dtbs//starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
cp: cannot stat '': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package flash-kernel (--configure):
 installed flash-kernel package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.17.5-visionfive-foobar-29042022
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac*-sdio.*.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac*-sdio.*.txt for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43752-sdio.clm_blob for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43752-sdio.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4359-sdio.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43456-sdio.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430b0-sdio.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac*-pcie.*.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac*-pcie.*.txt for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac*-pcie.txt for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4365c-pcie.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4365b-pcie.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4364-pcie.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4359-pcie.bin for built-in driver brcmfmac
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin for built-in driver btrtl
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723ds_config.bin for built-in driver btrtl
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723ds_fw.bin for built-in driver btrtl
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_config.bin for built-in driver btrtl
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_bt/rtl8723b_config.bin for built-in driver btrtl
Using DTB: starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
Installing /usr/lib/linux-image-5.17.5-visionfive-foobar-29042022/starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.
dtb into /boot/dtbs/5.17.5-visionfive-foobar-29042022/starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
Taking backup of jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb.
Installing new jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb.
Ignoring old or unknown version 5.17.5-visionfive-foobar-29042022 (latest is )
Errors were encountered while processing:
 flash-kernel
needrestart is being skipped since dpkg has failed
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Expect this crash to be solved.

Can you copy dtb file from /boot to /etc/flash-kernel/dtbs?

Yea! I copied the .dtb file to corresponding directory and the apt command runs normally now. Thanks.

@jershell I installed ubuntu-server-22.04-riscv64-visionfive-27042022-1.zip (Kernel 5.17.4) a few days ago, and then, I used linux-5.17.5-visionfive-v1-generic.zip to upgrade it, but my VisionFive v1 board could not be booted after upgrading. So, may these kernel deb packages are defective. I built the Linux kernel by myself( via Create Debian System image on RISC-V VisionFive tutorial ), and it could not be booted after upgrading also. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good news.

3 Likes

I used this and it worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Has Ubuntu for VisionFive v2 made progress recently?

Please refer to ubuntu discourse: “Board received. Runs with Kinetic desktop and vendor kernel. Ubuntu kernel missing.”

1 Like