SoC Fab?

Where was the JH7110 made? Is China capable of 12 nm?

I heard it was done in 28nm process due to a golden ratio. As fabs, TSMC done it:

World’s First High-Performance RISC-V Multimedia Processor for Mass Production
The founder and CEO of StarFive, Thomas Xu, introduced StarFive’s new generation multimedia processor SoC – JH7110 in all respects. As a high-performance, low-power-consumption, and multi-functional SoC for RISC-V application, JH7110 adopts TSMC’s mature 28nm process technology and boasts a quad-core RISC-V high-performance CPU and 2 MB L2 cache. Its working frequency is up to 1.5 GHz. It is worth mentioning that JH7110 can work as a powerful multimedia processing platform thanks to its integration with 3D GPU, H.264/H.265 video codecs IP, and ISP IP.
5 Likes

Hm, so why are they marketing it as 12 nm?

What about the RK3566 from Rockchip is that 22 nm? And where is the fab for that?

So what is the likelyhood that StarFive can get a new batch?

If they can’t we’re in a catch-22, nobody will work on linux drivers for hardware that can’t get more chips!!!

[citation needed]

As @strlcat points out, it’s a 28nm part and I’m sure TSMC will supply as many as are needed

3 Likes

Hm, so why are they marketing it as 12 nm?

Please provide information source of this claim. My quick google-fu pops up this thread as third result of search, with two first related to StarFive’s Dubhe launch[1]. Dubhe is said to be 12nm, while official StarFive news item citing JH7110[2] clearly states they’re using TSMC and 28nm for it’s production.

[1] 新闻详情页
[2] 活动回顾详情

3 Likes

Perhaps you have confused something or have been misinformed. I consider myself to have an extremely good memory and was also of the opinion that I had read something about 12nm somewhere and at some point, but certainly not from an official source, but in some blog or on a news site.

I was then enlightened here in the forum.

3 Likes

We don’t know for sure. ASML has sold DUV machines to China, but now the US has banned all advanced DUV machine sales to China.

But in theory you can do multiple immersion.

Nikon says that for 7nm and 5nm chips, you don’t need EUV, but that still seems to be mostly a marketing message born out of necessity. In theory, the message is true. 7nm and even 5nm details can also be produced if you use multiple immersion exposures for one layer. So there are some bells and whistles involved, but in principle, you can then form the structures with DUV that you also achieve with EUV – even if DUV is limited per single exposure to details of 32 nm. That multipatterning technology does come at a cost in terms of yield.

1 Like

RK3588 is another demonstration that China can manufacture chips that are competitive in terms of GFLOPS/Watt to EUV, that one I know was manufactured IN China!

How come nobody is talking about this?

The Lichee Pi 4 is another proof. I don’t think those chips where manufactured outside of China.

China owns Imagination Tech.

This is the most important thing happening right now.

Everything pales in comparison.

@tinspin Are you really sure the RK3588 is manufactured in China? Rockchip is a fabless chip designer. The only thing I can find is that they were talking with Samsung for production of the RK3588.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-21/china-s-top-chipmaker-makes-big-tech-advances-despite-us-curbs

It was made by SMIC.

1 Like