Running podman on Debian Sid Experimental Image

All this in the hopes of following the recipe to build a Fedora 33 Image for VF2 and ultimately bringup and Fedora Silverblue Image afterwards. I found these related links.

Directly on the VisionFive 2 board with the debian sid image on a 128GB sdcard, and avoiding the sources and using the pre-built debian binaries as much as possible, I’m trying to follow the steps.

All the debian sid packages installed were more recent versions of course.

sudo apt-cache search ostree
sudo apt-get install ostree

sudo apt-cache search rclone
sudo apt-get install rclone

sudo apt-cache search podman
sudo apt-get install podman

sudo apt-cache search runc
sudo apt-get install runc

sudo apt-cache search containernetworking
sudo apt-get install containernetworking-plugins

sudo apt-cache search containers |grep common
sudo apt-get install golang-github-containers-common liblxc-common

sudo modprobe tun

mkdir helloworld
cd helloworld/
gcc -static hello.c -o hello
podman build . -t helloworld
podman run --network=host --privileged helloworld

Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.
1 Like

What kernel are you running ?
I installed podman with sudo apt install podman containers-storage and testing the standard hello-world worked first try: podman run hello-world

Resolved "hello-world" as an alias (/etc/containers/registries.conf.d/shortnames.conf)
Trying to pull docker.io/library/hello-world:latest...
Getting image source signatures
Copying blob 3caa6dc69d0b done
Copying config b3593dab05 done
Writing manifest to image destination
Storing signatures

Hello from Docker!
This message shows that your installation appears to be working correctly.

CORRECTION: I am using hexdump0815’s experimental sid image.

I did an update/upgrade of packages within there.

UPDATE: I reverted to starfive engineering image 69 and it didn’t feel good.
I’m back on hexdump0815’s image. It doesn’t have starfive’s latest kernel or any of the other gpu/chromium and such, but at least I’ve got access to the full debian riscv sid package repos unlike the buildroot image.

Not sure, I had to build another kernel to get docker up and running, don’t know what podman requires.
This is the one I’m running: visionfive2-docker/build_kernel_vf2.sh at main · kng/visionfive2-docker · GitHub
Linux starfive 5.15.0-starfive #1 SMP Fri Jan 27 15:06:26 UTC 2023 riscv64 GNU/Linux

thanks I’ll give that script a go. I got my usb-uart thingy in the mail! I’ll be able to see more debug yey!

uart connection is absolutely a wise choice, I have it hooked up permanently to a nearby computer.
Also, make sure to copy the modules over as well, the ipv6, bridge stuff etc is there and not in the kernel itself.

I may have mentioned this before, but somebody built a fedora 33 container for riscv:

Well since we have podman installed, let’s give it a go:

podman pull quay.io/nirousseau/f33-riscv64:latest
podman run --privileged --network=host -it --rm --entrypoint="/bin/bash" quay.io/nirousseau/f33-riscv64:latest
[root@vf2-hexdump0815-sid /]#

voila :slight_smile: