Oooh. Next release is looking interesting

Eg:

Looking at the branch commit log it looks like this will land soon.

5 Likes

u-boot splash screen:

And also the thermal subsystem!

7 Likes

-1 for the list of supported hdmi modes not improving. :sob:

No 1024x768 or 1280x1024, what do StarFive have against 4:3 modes, grrrr…

Why would you use HDMI on 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

Because that’s what my spare monitor has?
… it’s not that unusual to use an old monitor for this sort of thing. And hdmi supports many ratios.

3 Likes

Surely the key features, in a much more human friendly format, are all in the 202302 Release notes ?

What’s Next - WIP

• Debian-Installer support - Could support both SD + eMMC boot in single image.
  • ipv6 enablement
  • NVMe PCIe enablement and test
  • u-boot splash screen
  • 4K resolution support for X and Wayland
  • Improved X Desktop user experience
  • Vulkan support
  • Firefox hardware acceleration
  • 1080p60 video playback
  • Gnome Wayland Desktop for improved user experience
  • virtual console via HDMI
5 Likes

That’s a WIP list, I’m interested in what will actually land in this release. It’s unlikely to be the full list, though would be delighted to be wrong.

2 Likes

… and we can fill in the blanks now.

… I’m expecting @Michael.Zhu to start a new thread soon :wink: once they have the image download links and documentation sorted etc.

I like the note confirming that some common display modes are not supported;

TL:DR (again) I actually understand why now… just spent a couple of hrs in the documentation and as far as I can tell we only have modes from CEA-861-E available, which I suspect actually derives from the ADV7511 drivers; these modes are also listed here, though I suspect that guide is out of date since it doesn’t list some of the higher modes we have. The ADV7511 (or a derivative) appears to be the HDMI_PHY device from the block diagram:

My attempt to see if I could hack in a new 1280x1024p60 mode soon hit a roadblock. It’s not on the CEA-861 list, and therefore not easily available. As far as I can tell there would need to be some serious re-work of the relevant code to accept modes outside of the list. Possible, but not going to happen soon.

7 Likes

My 7" monitor, purchased especially for the first login to SBC, which I subsequently want to use headless, has a resolution of only 1024x600. Of course, the small screen is not only practical on the desk, but also later when a monitor is needed on a ladder in the hallway or in a cupboard in the kitchen for maintenance work.

5 Likes

I can not flash U-Boot. The image is now too big.
EDIT: I should try flashing from the new sdcard image.