Newer Vision Five 2 GPU drivers

Is this the only place one can download new driver to try:

http://github.com/starfive-tech/soft_3rdpart/tree/JH7110_VisionFive2_devel/IMG_GPU/out

Can these be replaced on a older linux release or do you have to write a new SD card every GPU driver release?

2 Likes

It was 3 months old already. It should be shipped with both SDcard.img and the official Debian images since 3 months ago. I always include the latest driver and firmware in my Arch image too.

2 Likes

It is sad that the closed software situation, and all its associated burdens, continue.

Will Imatech ever support our GPU in the open-source driver?

1 Like

2022-04-25 Imagination proclaimed their commitment to open source!
2022-06-28 Initial code towards Vulkan 1.0 driver for Imagination’s Rogue architecture GPUs available as part of Mesa.

2023-07-14 Imagination Technologies published the fourth iteration of their in-development PowerVR DRM kernel graphics driver targeting the Rogue architecture and future graphics IP.
2023-08-16 Imagination Technologies published the fifth iteration of their in-development PowerVR DRM kernel graphics driver targeting the Rogue architecture and future graphics IP.

And work this week is happening to update the v7 patch set.

They are not at the finish line yet, but at least they are getting closer and closer.

EDIT: My one hope would be that Imagination Technologies would have a driver with support for the BXE-4-32-MC1 in the JH7110 added in before the next longterm supported Linux kernel is selected. If they can achieve that, it would be outstandingly brilliant.

4 Likes