Kernel .config to build a minimalist stock (torvalds) kernel for VF2

Greetings, all.

As of Kernel ~6.8 or 6.9, the upstream kernel sources build and boot just fine on the VisionFive2. I am running Ubuntu, so I was initially using their kernel config (they distribute a working v6.8.x). That has everything under the sun set to compile as a module, so compilation was something I had to let go overnight.

I decided I wanted faster turnarounds, so I created a stripped-down .config. Figuring others might benefit, I am sharing it here:

git clone the latest torvalds sources, drop my config file in as .config, and commence the rest of a kernel build (as you like it) from there.

Currently we’re in the RC phase of 6.10. I will update this with each RC from Linus. Once 6.10 ships and 6.11 RCs start coming out, I will leave the 6.10 config alone and start working on 6.11.

During “make oldconfig” I will only say Y to any new device driver that is actually used by/on the VF2.

Please let me know if there is anything I have missed that I should be saying “Y” to. Also let me know if there are devices I should be saying “N” to for improved minimalism.

/scott

1 Like

Have you tried enabling DRM and the GPU?

Unless I missed something, they haven’t made it to mainline yet. I would be happy to be proven wrong, however!

/scott

Have a look at linux/drivers/gpu/drm/imagination/Kconfig at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub and see if it is relevant.

Unfortunately it’s not all there yet for us on RISCV64:

depends on ARM64

But hopefully soon!

/scott