Jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb vs the others

The Visionfive 2 has a number of dtb files.
The default is jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb
Under what conditions would i need to use
jh7110-visionfive-v2-ac108.dtb
Or
jh7110-visionfive-v2-wm8960.dtb

1 Like

Since ac108 and wm8960 are both I2S audio chips, I would guess that they exist to support current HAT’s that have those chips.

EDIT: A quick check of the two source code files dts (device tree source), before they were compiled with a dtc (device tree compiler) to generate the dtb’s would match that assumption:
jh7110-visionfive-v2-wm8960.dts
jh7110-visionfive-v2-ac108.dts

They both have an I2C interface for control and one or more I2S interfaces for audio samples.

Looking through the board schematic, there are no microphones or direct audio input. So if you wanted to add audio input, (or higher quality audio output) then you could do that by adding a HAT (or a USB sound card or MIPI-CSI or …).

3 Likes

What what about those two?

• jh7110-visionfive-v2-A10.dtb
  • jh7110-visionfive-v2-A11.dtb

Are those for older board revisions (while the default works on them as well)?

1 Like

When in doubt “Use the ForceSource Luke”.
jh7110-visionfive-v2-A10.dts
jh7110-visionfive-v2-A11.dts

Speed reading the two files and then giving them a quick “diff” makes me think that they might define the function of some of the pins under the JH7110 SoC for possibly two earlier in house revisions of the board “VisionFive2 version A1.0” and “VisionFive2 version A1.1” (would be my guess).

And I think that this part of the VisionFive2 Software Technical Reference Manual might support that guess, a little.

4 Likes