Arch Linux Image for VisionFive 2

Yes, at first its size made me think I had done something wrong.

I believe yes… but for now im not so sure. As for now a cant get, where do i get thoose ones.

Ive managed to make it work again. At first thing, there is small interesting thing. I loaded from NVMe using previous kernel from microSD card. And reapplied u-boot rom. Now it loads kernel 6.6 normally

1 Like

Hi! Is there a way to install RTC DS3231?

If the DS3231 is an I2C module, you can clone and modify the following repository to adapt for the DS3231: GitHub - cwt-vf2/rtc-ds1307-i2c-vf2: VisionFive2 Clock on I2C RTC-DS1307.

1 Like

Yep. It is.

The post is updated for cwt23 image.

If you already run the image version >= cwt19, you can download this kernel update script, chmod and execute it.

You should upgrade the onboard firmware as well. Just download this package and then follow the firmware upgrade instructions.

4 Likes

I haven’t used my VF2 for several months but one user (lzzhzh) in this thread is claiming they have hardware video decoding working. Really? Can it decode 4K videos too?

Is this using vulkan video decoding? I’m no expert in mpv or vulkan but I’ve looked at the options you’re using for mpv and I don’t think you have hardware video decoding working. If you did the video should be playing back smoother than what you showed in your video. I’m pretty sure you have to be using the --hwdec option to use hardware decoding, if your hardware and drivers support it but I think we’re still missing suitable drivers?

I really want to be proved wrong.

Better tag him @lzzhzh :yum:

2 Likes

hi, danboid ,Thank you :sparkling_heart:
My English is not good, here is the machine translation。

NO, VF2 cannot decode 4K videos,can only 1080p。
You saw my message, it was a few months ago。
I haven’t used archLinux-cwt for several months。
The software of archLinux is very new,good :+1:。But the best decoding is debian2409
I suggest using archLinux-cwt and debian2409 together。Work using archLinux-cwt, Video entertainment with debian2409。
Or you can try archlinux-cwt + debian2409 , Multi Boot。
I hope my answer ,can help you clarify your doubts。 :grinning:

hi, cwt。I guess you can see it,Thank you!Previously helped me。 :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks lzzhzh

The latest official Debian distro release notes does say it doesn’t handle a 4K display well yet so I wasn’t expecting it could handle 4K decoding yet.

2 Likes

Can’t update the kernel via script, it reports conflict with linux-cwt-515-starfive-vf2-soft_3rdpart which it does not attempt to remove or replace.

Hi, I’m out of town and have some difficulties to online. BTW, if you are still using kernel 5.15, you will need remove soft_3rdpart before upgrade the kernel using my script. And BEFORE you reboot, you must upgrade the onboard firmware. You can scroll up or search for the instructions somewhere in this post.

1 Like

It worked. Much thanks!

1 Like