Arch Linux Image for VisionFive 2

No, I considered my custom kernel as an extremely experimental. Very unstable actually. I would left this kind of stuffs in a professional hand.

1 Like

Thanks for the great work! I’ll try asap when my board arrive next week. I’m so exited for start porting packages to riscv64 in arch

1 Like

Update: I had said that cwt6 would be released last week, but my health was not good and I am still recovering. During the past week, I tested many configurations for the new kernel from VF2_v2.8.0 and found some flaws in cwt5 that prevent it from booting the Debian Image 69 . I think this is because the initrd was created using mkinitcpio on Arch Linux. I will attempt to fix this with the new image.

2 Likes

For information on porting packages to RISC-V 64-bit architecture, you may want to join this room on Matrix. Felixonmars is the maintainer of https://archriscv.felixc.at/ and the RISC-V 64-bit port.

4 Likes

The cwt6 image is uploaded! Please read the first post for more details.

3 Likes

Nerwork seems not working on my side… network manager complains about things like: dhcp4 timeout. Cwt5 works fine for me though.

hmm… I will check it tomorrow. thanks for report.

@LeoHa I just make a quick check, there shouldn’t be any NetworkManager related config that was added or removed from cwt5. Could you try again?

Is there a kernel-only tarball for cwt6?

Will upload them tomorrow.

Consider a tarball version, for those of us who’d use different storage (like different filesystem on luks2 on NVMe).

NM logs here: https://fars.ee/9e1C
dmesg here: https://fars.ee/yBVq
There will be an ipv6 address after a while, but no ipv4 whatsoever.
If you need other information, please let me know.
(Seems to be a driver issue?)
(Also, if I try to mount some drives, it will spit out errors relating to fstab.)

Oh! you’re using port on the left? I never test it because according to spec of revision “A”, it’s just 100 Mbit/s. Could you try using port on the right?

The same. Tried reflashing sd card, rebooting router, different ports, still nothing :frowning:

ok, after I finish building my testing kernel, I will test both ports on my board on difference network switches and port speed.

1 Like

@und Kernels with modules and patch files for patching the v2.8.0 source are uploaded to my Google Drive and Naver MyBox.

@LeoHa I tested using an old Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch. It is connected via a 1 Gbps SFP fiber uplink, and all of its UTP ports are 10/100. Here are the results:

• When I plug the right port on VF2 (1 Gbps) into this switch, the kernel reports that the link is up with 100 Mbps/Full, but I cannot obtain an IP address.
  • When I plug the left port on VF2 (100 Mbps) into this switch, the kernel reports that the link is up with 100 Mbps/Full and I successfully obtain an IP address.

However, when I plug either port on VF2 into another 10/100/1000 switch, both ports can successfully obtain an IP address.

I believe the changes in the driver between v2.6.0 and v2.8.0 may be the cause of this problem.

2 Likes

I am also having issues with cwt6, the ethernet ports are unable to obtain an IP address.
Even when assigning addresses manually, no traffic is able to pass via the onboard ports.

It looks like there is a problem with the dtbs provided in the cwt6 image.
If I replace the /boot/boot/dtbs folder with the cwt5 version, everything appears to work fine.

dtbs on cwt5 was the same as dtbs provided from debian 69. may be it can be fixed with the next debian image that build on v2.8.0.

The dtbs have differing checksums:

sha256sum cwt{5,6}-boot/boot/dtbs/starfive/jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb
f9f6a29d26c38f9c83bad5a9cd7850c397915de2e58a00bb4e940ab636999104  cwt5-boot/boot/dtbs/starfive/jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb
1686c1f5f58de96802dd0378daf6b0e065709504e721183cfb676c0a62b595a0  cwt6-boot/boot/dtbs/starfive/jh7110-visionfive-v2.dtb

(Those are from the boot partitions of the full Archlinux image files)

run dtc -I dtb -O dts on each and diff the outputs to learn how they are different