Which SD card speeds does the VisionFive 2 support?

Class 10 V30 scard is what I currently use, but I was hoping for better performance.
Another aspect is nvme’s aren’t as convenient to work with since I have to screw in the nvme in place and it wastes much time that way. The sdcard’s gadgetry to push-in/push-out the card is much more convenient. I don’t get why they couldn’t have done the same with nvme’s. I find the nvme industry a bit retarded that way.

You might want to add endurance to your criteria on selecting SSD hardware.
As a general rule as endurance goes up, so does price and size goes down. Search for a quality “Industrial grade 64GB MicroSD”, and the price is currently around 1 euro (1 dollar) per GB.

For NVMe the endurance can be calculated using the TBW (Total Bytes Written), usually hidden in small print somewhere like a pdf document. Take the TBW and divide by the size of the SSD, to have a number that can be used to approximate the underlying maximum number of Program/Erase cycles of the cells used inside the device. Most modern SSD’s use multiple cell types, like the internal wear leveling data of all the blocks inside the device would typically be stored in a few private blocks of SLC’s (Single-level cell).

• SLC: 1 bit per cell: 50,000 to 1,000,000 program/erase cycles
  • MLC: 2 bits per cell: lifetime of about 1,000 to 10,000 program/erase cycles
  • TLC: 3 bits per cell: maximum lifetime of 1,500 to 5,000 program/erase cycles
  • QLC: 4 bits per cell: 100 to 1500 program-erase cycles before they start to break down and become unreadable
  • PLC: 5 bits per cell: when available will be lower.

ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#Write_endurance

1 Like

‘The sdcard’s gadgetry to push-in/push-out the card is much more convenient. I don’t get why they couldn’t have done the same with nvme’s.’ :+1: :+1: :+1:
You can turn NVME into a USB drive and then boot it

Here are the specifications: SD/MMC Interface

So theoretically it would support high speed with 25 MB/s but practically it only supports max 21 MB/s for read/write as somebody already benchmarked several SD cards: https://bret.dk/best-microsd-card-for-the-visionfive-2/

So don’t waste your money on expensive UHS-I;-II;-III cards unless you can use them elsewhere.

2 Likes

Because NVME is not designed for removeable.
I think you can choose a USB devices instead.

Oh, yes. VF2 is not have boot-from-USB choosen. But the spi/uboot code is supported.

PS: I remember SDIO is supported PCI-E in new version. And SDIO have High performance version like USH-III .

UPDATE: “SD Express” is the name of the PCI-E interface specification.

1 Like

hi, There’s a video here video,Maybe it can inspire you,This technology can currently be replicated on TF cards. Theoretically, NVME is also possible, you need to explore it yourself。
(The above is a machine translation, good luck)