When could JH7110 supports Vulkan API

When could JH7110 supports Vulkan API?

Now a lot of graphics applications backend apis are moving to vulkan

After supporting vulkan, you can also run many previously unsupported games

The JH7110’s GLES drive isn’t perfect yet, but I think vulkan is more important, I hope to start working with IMG on vulkan driver support as soon as possible

1 Like

Hi, I’m also watching for Vulkan support, and scanning this forum to see how far things have progressed, but I’m struggling to see what the current status is.

• Is there a closed blob Vulkan driver?

• Is there any sign of the promised open source Mesa driver?

To be honest, I’m happy to use a blob until the open stuff arrives as long as it’s on a v6 kernel.

Can anyone here get vulkaninfo, vkcube or Sascha’s examples running on any distro with either blob or not?

Duncan

1 Like

Like this? ArchLinux-cwt17-vulkaninfo.txt — paste.sr.ht

3 Likes

Yup! That’s something to work with! :grinning:

Shame no VK_KHR_display :frowning:

What kernel is that on? v5 or v6?

I presume it’s closed/proprietary, not open Mesa PVR?

@Duncan.Cragg it’s 5.15 with binary blob from starfive repo, but with some rebuilt drivers. Check my build script here GitHub - cwt/Arch-VF2-Image: Build script to create Arch Linux image for VisionFive 2

2 Likes

More details on the release page Release cwt17 · cwt/Arch-VF2-Image · GitHub

3 Likes

Vulkan is not more important than GLES.

There is nothing that uses Vulkan that will perform well on these low power GPUs simply because there is no point to make a Vulkan game when you wont have the power.

Raspberry still haven’t finished Vulkan either and they have been working on it for 5 years.

GLES has many games that will run.

Mesa have zink project who can translate OpenGL to vulkan .
this means: If {JH7110 is supported vulkan } then { JH7110 is supported OpenGL }

PS: I remenber Vulkan is depend on some hardware feature. Old GPU design is not easy to be supported it. Maybe, raspberry’s GPU is not a “morden” design.

The Vulkan driver for the Pi 4 was already released a year ago.
AetherSX2 (PS2 emulation) on the Pi 4 running Fedora 37 Beta.

There is a big difference between release and finished these days. Nobody can use Vulkan on Raspberry for anything modern. Or so people in the know are telling me, I would never use Vulkan.

Eternal growth does not exist. To always change APIs is costing humanity too much. At some point you have build something and not have it deprecated 5 years after release.

Did you watch my video? PS2 emulation on ARM is modern.

You video confirms my first comment, performance is terrible, unplayable even.

What I meant with modern is the features that Vulkan added can’t be used because the drivers don’t pass validation.

Emulation is not just the GPU, the CPU also plays a big role.
You can claim other people say it doesn’t pass validation, but that means you want to claim the Pi Foundation is lying?

Maybe they do now, I have no idea and it’s meaningless since as I said Vulkan does not have any meaning on low end GPUs.

“But after twenty years OpenGL was starting to looking like a bad abstraction: it didn’t provide the capabilities application authors needed, and was an increasingly poor fit for how the underlying hardware worked.”

This is a lie though: OpenGL ES 3 only appeared on hardware around 2018. And OpenGL 1 still runs on MacBooks with M2. Everything these eternal growth; “rewrite every thing all the time” people are selling is wrong.

You can see it in the meaningless Raspberry 5, that thing is not 2.5x better per watt and the GPU is WAY underpowered. It’s a dud.

The abstraction is the simplest way to draw something. Bind all data to the VAO then say draw VAO with this id, the driver is not our problem. Vulkan makes things much harder, and the games are NOT getting better.

Unless you are writing your own engine from scratch you don’t get to vote on this. Progress will be self-evident eventually.

OpenGL ES 3 for eternity.

This says enough. I’m done with you.

1 Like