What's the thermal safety of VisionFive 2?

Yup. POVRay maxing out all “harts”. No case, sitting on a desk. I’ll render a frame or two of quake demos, to compare speeds. qpov.retrofitta.se has some stats.

2 Likes

Seems fairly good w/o even a heatsink.

As this SoC targets a 85C maximum according to other posts, I suspect a simple heatsink would be sufficient for peace of mind, not needing a fan.

I put this small (but not too small) with a little fan, because I rebuild my kernel almost every day with make -j4.

without AC, make -j4 causes CPU to 60C, with AC on and the room temp was around 24C, the CPU temp never higher than 55C.

7 Likes

I meant to say qpov.retrofitta.se will have some stats. It has other stats now, but since no render has finished on the VisionFive2 yet there’s no stats for it. Will take a few more days.

is that secured and is there a “standard” for the CPU cooling these types of devices require, or are compatible with? [please ignore the highlight]

You can use a “normal” Nothbridge Heatsink. More Infos at the " Using Odroid XU4 fan on VisionFive 2" Thread

You were also surprised, that the negative an positive wire on jst connector is reversed? :smiley:

no, it isn’t. Pin 1 on GPIO is +3.3 and pin 6 is ground. I use +3.3 because with +5 my fan was too noisy.

1 Like

Hi @cwt may I ask you what model fan are you using here? Could you share the link in where you buy it please

It just a very cheap one from an online store in my country. It’s important to choose a suitable heatsink to dissipate heat efficiently from the CPU. The height of the fins should allow for maximum air contact, and it’s recommended to avoid low profile heatsinks. Additionally, the use of double-sided thermal tape can help ensure a good thermal connection between the CPU and the heatsink.

Maybe a additional small optimization is to use a 2 mm thermal pad (not a thermal tape). it’s a bit fluffy and covers more of the different heights in the heatsink region.

I get very good temps with a heatsink like cwt’s, a noctua fan and the thermal pad:

riscv ~ # uptime
 20:23:31 up 4 days,  2:35,  1 user,  load average: 3,91, 2,93, 1,53

riscv ~ # cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

For what it’s worth, I got this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XY9FHPZ and it never got above 58°C now under load. That’s plenty cold.

ADD: sorry! It’s a link to a pure(? really?) copper heatsink (no fan) for about $10 (for two). Comes with two adhesive thermal pads (seems to work ok).
I did measure before and after and the impact was about -10C.

5 Likes

I have a 2 mm thermal pad, but I don’t know how to make it stick securely with my heatsink and CPU. My heatsink doesn’t have anything to screw to the board, so I use double-sided thermal tape because it is already have glue on both sides.

1 Like

For mine, I ordered the “Enokay Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Heat Sink Single Cooling Fan RAM Heatsink Set” on amazon, which is $10 at this time. It’s an average quality fan and is a bit audible, but it seems to work well and comes with some additional heatsinks.

I used an old northbridge heatsink and arctic mx-4, and just strapped it down with zip ties, depinned the connector and wedged the pins into the socket, will add hot glue to keep from shorting later, temps are great 29c idle 42c load

Reposting here in case someone missed it:

My XU4Q heatsink arrived. This is a fully passive solution.

I used Artic MX-4 as thermal interface.

Test: nbench, 4 threads, infinite loop: while [ 1 ];do ./nbench;done

Ambient temp: 24C for both tests.

Time: checked both at 15m mark.

From /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input

w/o heatsink: 72282 (72.3C)

w/ heatsink: 55807 (55.8C)

It seems to do the job, no fan needed.

There is some 1-2mm clearance, eyeballed, from the height of the M.2 screw to the heatsink retaining clips. I have now installed an SSD (Patriot P300) w/o issue.

3 Likes

I bought a heatsink with adjustable pin spacing from Aliexpress ( Pure Copper Northbridge Motherboard Chipset Heatsink Cooler Radiator Fan For Pc Graphics Card South North Bridge Chipset Cooling - Fans & Cooling - AliExpress ).

It also comes with a fan, but this one is for 12V. It doesn’t seem to cool with a 5V power supply.

I wrote a blog post (in Japanese): Starfive VisonFive2(RISC-V SBC) で遊ぶ – その11 ファンを付ける(1) | ず@沖縄

2 Likes

For people buying heatsinks and fans, for the heatsink you want the tallest ones possible to give the greatest thermal mass and surface area for heat dissipation. The one linked by @zu2 is listed as being 16mm high, that’s basically just a raised metal block with the fan doing almost all the work of cooling. Don’t just go for anything that says copper, its heatsinking performance isn’t that much better than aluminium and because copper is more expensive and requires a separate manufacturing process from the near-universal alu one you’re going to pay more and get less for your money.

Given the history of CCA and CCC cables, you may not even be getting what you think you’re getting with a “copper” heatsink.

4 Likes

I bought two heatsinks for Rock 5B and it fits this board too. Probably is northbridge, but what I was originally asking for is a trade spec name for it if I wanted to buy. Still don’t have that, but I guess I don’t need it now that I have something in place.

I check mine with $ sensors ($ sudo apt install lm-sensors). Mine runs between +30°C and +37°C with the fan from the kit sold at allnetchina.cn

This is with Minecraft server running and building a new world:

jakubtalich@visionfive2:~$ sensors
120e0000.tmon-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
temp1:        +32.1°C  

120e0000.tmon-isa-0000
temp1:        +34.2°C  

120e0000.tmon-isa-0000