VisionFive 2 refuses to boot any image other than sdcard.img

With the switches in the SD position did you try to boot from Debian 202303 image ?
It was the first image to be able to boot using bootloaders from the SD card. None of the previous images could boot from the SD card they required the boot switch to be in the factory default position FLASH.

Maybe the file you download was incomplete or corrupt, did you check the filesize and checksum/hash with the one listed on the website ?

1 Like

Yes I tried that with all the images I listed on the first post xP. one difference I noticed is that the SOC gets a little bit warmer when I boot with the switches in the SD Position, but after 10 minutes it still doesn’t boot; How much time does it usually takes to boot these debian images for the first time? maybe that’s just me being inpatient xP

and also yes I checked the sha256 checksums, re-downloaded the image files 3 times before flashing to my SD Cards

1 Like

I just flashed this image (debian 202303) to my SD Card and updated my firmware to this new release, and I plugged it in; I’ll wait 1 hour this time to see if it does anything. I’ve also set the switches to the SD booting

I already checked the SDCard using a tool, and its not a fake card xP. I tested all of the 32gb of the card (the test took 1 hour xP) and it did not give me any error; and yes this SD Card is brand new, I bought it yesterday ago just for the starfive x3

(I edited this because the forum doesn’t allow me to reply anymore WHYY)

1 Like

The only other possibility I can think of is a bad (Or possibly a fake SD card, plug “fake SD card” into your search engine of choice). The the first 838881280 bytes (Or 204805 4K blocks) are fine (the filesize of VF2_v2.11.5_sdcard.img) , but somewhere after that it is corrupt.

Is it new, or a reused card ? Have you tried a different SD card ?

1 Like

Maybe it is an anti-spammer block, probably a limit on the number of posts you can create. I checked your account and it has “Joined 2 days” and 9 posts created. My guess is give it 1/6/24 hours and you will be able to post more and the limit will increase or go away over time, maybe do the tutorials might get you more posts (proves you are a human and not a bot).

2 Likes

That is me out of ideas. I’m sure someone else will chime in.

1 Like

You must have received mail from discobot at the beginning.
http://forum.rvspace.org/t/greetings/701?u=sunwukong
Answer him and after a few question/answer games you will have a higher status in the forum in a few minutes, which will allow you more interactions.

3 Likes

Did you try all combinations with the dip switches? I had first inverted them (the documentation is a confusing IMO), so the device wouldn’t boot on SD.

If you have an HDMI monitor, it should show some activity within seconds.

3 Likes

Please make sure you used the latest image because image-69 and image-55 does not support boot from SD card or eMMC.

1 Like

I did, and I also flashed the new firmware; still doesn’t boot, the only image I got to boot was DietPie’s StarFive VisionFive 2 image xP

1 Like

Yes! and it still doesn’t boot

May I ask where you don’t quite understand?

The DietPi image has only a single ext4 partition, hence no uEnv.txt is loaded and the distro boot target, which requires the 3rd partition to be FAT with extlinux on it, fails. The bootloader then goes on with the mmc0 target which scans all partition for boot scripts, extlinux, EFI in a generic way and supports all filesystems.

So if all other images fail, then the distro boot target fails or hangs at some point where it does not fall back to the next boot target anyhow.

However, serial console output needed to debug it further.

2 Likes

yes, sorry I still need to buy that USB to Serial Converter

1 Like

I didn’t understand which are the on/off positions for the switches. The switches are clearly labelled but it’s not so obvious which position is on or off.

This may help:

grafik

SDIO3.0
Boot mode SDIO3.0

eMMC
Boot mode eMMC

3 Likes

The TL;DR is to follow what’s written the mask on the board, and ignore what is the mask on the switch module.

1 Like

Think in terms of them being pull downs. Off is high, on is low. Once you understand this, you only need to refer to the silkscreen on the board to know what to set- 1 being “off”, 0 being “on” for the dipswitch.

It’s a re-do of their documentation. Which is and isn’t helpful.

Normally, a vendor will describe things in terms of the on/off states on the switches instead of the confusing thing done here. The map you present is a description of the signal lines…and the switches are pull-downs. So in one way it sensibly describes the state of affairs- while omitting the detail that the switches are reverse of the sense you’d normally think of them. X-D

1 Like