VisionFive 2 Debian Image 202306 Released

Kudos. I’m somewhat of a novice. My SF2 wouldn’t boot from NVMe. I was missing the steps to update the u-boot ‘stuff’ that @mzs pointed out. This fixed it! Thanks.

3 Likes

Some bugs on Xorg Gnome :

• red and blue inverted in gtk3 when using wxWidgets : wxBitmap
  • glitches and lags in menu drawing
  • exFat shareds are not working for usb disk plug in nautilus
  • lags with keybard in terminal, and in selection in menus
  • some reboot gives white screen and does not boot to login
  • keyboard language management (azerty) does not work on login

Hello all,

I have been away from this forum for several months.
I decided to install the Debian image 202306 to see what had changed/improved.
I also updated the firmware (flashcp) to enable booting from NVME.

The desktop is experiencing massive lagging/latency issues.
I have not installed anything special and I have NOT ran apt upgrade.
If I ssh into the box, I can see no obvious factor that is causing/contributing to this.
Memory use is normal as is CPU usage.
Out of frustration, I installed XFCE.
No change, response times still abysmal.
Has anyone experienced the same issues or have I missed something?
Please see attached excerpt of the ring buffer (dmesg).
With the desktop in this present state, it is unusable.

Regards

AubreyVersionfive - 2 dmesg

Another screenshot - ringbuffer filtered for hdmi entries -
dmesg hdmi

From the very first post in this thread:

Is there any chance that your monitor is 4K ?

No. I am running the same 27" 2K Benq monitor that I used to test earlier releases of VF2.
I have also tweaked no display settings.

Aubrey

1 Like

Is it 2K at 60Hz or 2K at 30Hz refresh rate ?

1920*1080 60Hz.

I was going to say that is probably the cause but then I saw this post:

But it might be worthwhile at least trying to force the resolution to 30Hz (since it would be pushing 50% less data about), which might double the responsiveness. I guess that the first step would be to check if your monitor actually supports 1920x1080 at 30Hz

$ sudo apt install libdrm-tests
$ sudp modetest -M starfive -c

And maybe there is a gnome option to select a new frame rate.
gnome → settings → displays

But since you installed XFCE, you are on your own. Because you might have overwritten some of the critical files with newer versions but with less functionality for the VF2 board in the process.

I do not suppose that you safeguarded against that ?

2 Likes

I will try the settings as you suggest in the morning.
I have had enough of non-responsive desktops for one day.
If needs be, I will reinstall the image.
Much appreciate the tips about human stupidity.

Aubrey

1 Like

@mzs Rather than adjust screen resolution/frequency, I reinstalled the 202306 NVME image - quicker.
The Gnome desktop (which I dislike) is reasonably responsive using wayland (which I abhore).
Visionfive seem to have neglected xorg in favour of wayland, which is unfortunate.
What are your entries in /etc/apt/sources.list?

I am receiving this error -

W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: debian-ports:/ 2022-12-25 08:48:46 - snapshot.debian.org unstable InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG E852514F5DF312F6 Debian Ports Archive Automatic Signing Key (2022) ftpmaster@ports-master.debian.org
When doing an apt upgrade - but NOT going any further.

Regards

Aubrey

apt upgrade” are you serious or are you trolling ?

The default, if I modify them I risk breaking the carefully created environment.

This is not Debian ‘Trixie’ 13, which will be officially released in 2025, that will be the very first Debian release to support any RISC-V boards. Do not expect that kind of functionality from a custom made engineering Debian image created by StarFive. to help develpers write code. This image is a work in progress to allow coders to write code, it has improved with each and every new release.

1 Like

Neither nor. I was merely pointing out the GPG error(s).

The GPG error is because the security keys for the official Debian snapshot is old enough that the key has expired. And since it is only a snapshot, which is typically used by very few people, they have not updated/renewed the keys.

Snapshots are usually a work in progress to move application from broken to working, so it is not uncommon to have 365 of them a year. OpenBSD deletes their binary snapshots daily and replace with new ones (because permanent storage costs money, in terms of time, people, hardware, bandwidth and power) - and if someone really does need to travel back in time for a specific binary they can rebuild that binary using the exact commit of the source code checked in on that day, Debian keep all their snapshots for every supported architecture.

So the end result for the StarFive Debian (engineering) Image 202306 is that running “apt update” against a static point in time list of applications snapshot is about as useful as glass hammer or a wooden frying-pan. The local list of files is already the very latest for the currently selected snapshot. And if you point at a different apt repository, then the odds are very high that you will just end up breaking things or removing functionality. It is best to wait on the next StarFive image, while you write code. Me personally once I have a shell I don’t really care about the GUI, unless I’m watching media or browsing the web. But I also prefer X-windows over wayland, even with it’s many many many many security flaws.

2 Likes

A splendid explanation! The golden rays of enlightenment are shining on me.

Without a dedicated Xorg driver for the GPU, X will run on fbdev, which means it won’t be accelerated. That’s why using Wayland is the better option here.

3 Likes

@cwt I am aware of this, nevertheless, thank you for the information.
I will have to wait for hardware GPU acceleration then.

Aubrey

2 Likes

May you help us to integrate GPU driver in the Debian image ?

2 Likes

nm, the partition needs to be resized…

Just try to run my soft with gl4es without Xorg on Gnome Wayland, and 3D is run in software… My soft runs with wxWidgets with export GDK_BACKEND=x11, I’ve tried glxgears sample and it’s too slow…

From the first post, and the provided link to the release notes:

What’s Next

• Debian-Installer support - Could support both SD + eMMC boot in single image;
  • ===>>>> Vulkan support; <<<===
  • 1080p60 video playback;

My guess would that until a future release with Vulkan support, that most applications that require 3D hardware acceleration will happen in software instead of hardware. But, I know nothing about 3D graphics, so I could be wrong.

1 Like