VisionFive 2 Debian Image 202306 Released

got os installed.

i do not have access to repositories it says key is expired. additionally i cannot use simple tools like tar properly says is missing

there is no firefox and i cannot get it installed either

how do i fixed these expired repo keys? or is there something i’m missing altogether?

@GarretSidzaka, which repositories are expired?
you didn’t try apt update, right?
apt-get install should work, tar is there for me:

$ which tar
/bin/tar

for installing firefox & chromium, there is a script to run, install_package_and_dependencies.sh
it takes a loooot of time, but it works well.

if you have logs, better to show them :wink:

3 Likes

i did try apt-update. if that is disabled that makes sense. i need to locate that script and i will run it

@GarretSidzaka:
I tried apt update on the previous release 202303 (IIRC), and the system was extreeemly slow, unusable.
the script for installing the apps is this:

wget https://github.com/starfive-tech/Debian/releases/download/v0.8.0-engineering-release-wayland/install_package_and_dependencies.sh
chmod +x install_package_and_dependencies.sh
./install_package_and_dependencies.sh

You can always run apt-get, to have most of the applications on top of this.

I read somewhere that debian 12 will support this chipset, and so afterwards debian should be available from the official repositories and the updates will run regularly. Finger crossed :crossed_fingers:

the release note, with all the info (including the script above), in case you missed it:
https://rvspace.org/en/project/VisionFive2_Debian_Wiki_202306_Release

on the very first lines it mentions not to run apt update :wink:

i finally got packages to install. had to use this command
apt --fix-broken install
i’m getting unbeliveable slow downloads and some lag spikes with firefox too

1 Like

this is 10000000000000000% (deliberately annoying) more sane than using 9999 as the version. I Honestly don’t know what they were thinking.

1 Like

@LewisCowles what “this” in your message refers to? to a versioning scheme? to something else?

1 Like

I had to guess, as well, and I suspect that, this might be what is annoying him:

But the thing to always keep in mind is that official Debian currently supports NO RISC-V hardware at all (Not until Debian 13, Debian Trixie, is released sometime in 2025). That this image is a custom engineering build based on Debian for developers, it is not perfect, but for people to write code it works.

4 Likes

You do not known which version9999 means.
Gentoo have a lot of pkg-9999.
all of these pkgs is fetch source from git-or-svn when you build .

jiangtao@gentoo-x6 ~ $ equery l yuzu
 * Searching for yuzu ...
[I-O] [  ] games-emulation/yuzu-9999:0
jiangtao@gentoo-x6 ~ $ 

I currently use existing Debian commands, to protect me from my own level of stupidity, immediately after I initially install a new StarFive image.

$ cat hold.sh
#!/bin/bash --
for PACKAGE in $(dpkg --get-selections '*' | awk '{print $1}')
do
  sudo apt-mark hold ${PACKAGE}
done

I deliberately block myself from being able to modify any of the initially installed packages. Of course I can still break things, if I really really try, but it requires a much higher level of stupidity.

6 Likes

I have always seen an error about an invalid signature. Apt works but occasionally doing updates is like watching paint dry.
Is there a way to fix this?

I’m not sure applying Gentoo practices in Debian is not the silliest thing I’ve heard all month; but it’s certainly not a convention that is common. If you are doing something uncommon. Perhaps stop to think about why, and what alternatives exist.

This is a common thing.
You have not seen debian choose under development version, then you think every software have unique version.

9999 is not only in the major version, minor is more common.
eg. https://gamemaker.io/zh-CN/blog/gamemaker-studio-1-dot-4-9999-released

9999 is biger than stable version. If you dont like , you can choose 9000 to 9998.

You can try a solve simple problem:
How to let apt automatic update a VF2-version mesa, not upsteam version .
Hack Debian’s server and del “unneed”?

I finally got around to testing the 202306 SF Debian VF2 image last night. Whilst its a shame that we can’t upgrade yet without likely breaking the graphics and the unstable rv64 repos are dialup speed most of the time, 202306 is one of the most significant updates to an OS I’ve ever seen. Most “desktop” Linux type apps like browsers were barely usable before but now Firefox is looking much more usable with some mostly working graphics drivers in place, Youtube seems quite usable under Firefox now.

The most impressive thing is that I was able to install mpv then get the VF2 to do a good job of playing back a 60fps 4K hevc/h265 video, scaling it in realtime to play on a 1080p display. I have only seen mpv work this well on the Jetson Nano before, outside of running mpv on x86/64. Unfortnately 4K playback on a 4K display isn’t working yet:

The Jetson Nano can play 4K 60 fps video on a 4K display via mpv but only with nvidias closed GPU driver and on an OS they’ve stopped supporting. The Nano was barely supported for two years before nvidia left everyone on Ubuntu 18.04.

Earlier in this thread, Michael gave some instructions for configuring VLC. He said you should configure VLC to use FFmpeg (which is wrong anyway, the ffmpeg command is all lower case) as the decoding program when what he should’ve wrote is ffplay.

I get better NVMe performance running Arch instead of SF Debian 202306

Watch out for this error if you try running any SDL2 programs (eg games and emulators):

The SF minimal Debian desktop image should also include the nautilus (GNOME) file manager at least IMO:

I am currently building Godot 4.1 to see if I can get that run to test out the Vulkan / OGLES support…

Exciting progress!

EDIT

I got godot 4.1 to build, it took 2h 42m, but it doesn’t run. I just get the error:

free(): invalid pointer

a few times before it aborts but this is most likely a problem for the godot devs, the ones who care about rv64 at least, rather than the StarFive engineers.

If anyone else wants to build godot on the VF2 you need to run:

scons -j 4 use_llvm=yes

To build it with clang instead of gcc. Godot only supports being built with clang on rv64.

2 Likes

Kudos. I’m somewhat of a novice. My SF2 wouldn’t boot from NVMe. I was missing the steps to update the u-boot ‘stuff’ that @mzs pointed out. This fixed it! Thanks.

3 Likes

Some bugs on Xorg Gnome :

• red and blue inverted in gtk3 when using wxWidgets : wxBitmap
  • glitches and lags in menu drawing
  • exFat shareds are not working for usb disk plug in nautilus
  • lags with keybard in terminal, and in selection in menus
  • some reboot gives white screen and does not boot to login
  • keyboard language management (azerty) does not work on login

Hello all,

I have been away from this forum for several months.
I decided to install the Debian image 202306 to see what had changed/improved.
I also updated the firmware (flashcp) to enable booting from NVME.

The desktop is experiencing massive lagging/latency issues.
I have not installed anything special and I have NOT ran apt upgrade.
If I ssh into the box, I can see no obvious factor that is causing/contributing to this.
Memory use is normal as is CPU usage.
Out of frustration, I installed XFCE.
No change, response times still abysmal.
Has anyone experienced the same issues or have I missed something?
Please see attached excerpt of the ring buffer (dmesg).
With the desktop in this present state, it is unusable.

Regards

AubreyVersionfive - 2 dmesg

Another screenshot - ringbuffer filtered for hdmi entries -
dmesg hdmi

From the very first post in this thread:

Is there any chance that your monitor is 4K ?

No. I am running the same 27" 2K Benq monitor that I used to test earlier releases of VF2.
I have also tweaked no display settings.

Aubrey

1 Like

Is it 2K at 60Hz or 2K at 30Hz refresh rate ?