VisionFive 2 and PoE

Reading VisionFive 2 - open source quad-core RISC-V dev board by StarFive Tech — Kickstarter it says that PoE is supported but requires a separate poe hardware module - does this mean something like a hat (like how it is with the raspberry pi 4), or just a poe supply?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a 4-pin PoE header, with a PoE hardware module, you can connect and power the VisionFive2 with just one network cable。

1 Like

Would a PoE+ HAT that was designed for a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ and later models work ? The positioning of the 4-pin PoE header in your image above looks to have the exact same placement as the J14 header on a RPi 3B+.and later models relative to the 40 pin GPIO header.

The original RPi PoE HAT modules were Type 1:
12.95 Watt at powered device 802.3af (802.3at Type 1), PoE
The current RPi PoE+ HAT modules are Type 2:
25.50 Watt at powered device 802.3at Type 2, PoE+
Does the VisionFive 2 board require more power:
51 Watt at powered device 802.3bt Type 3, 4PPoE or PoE++

The kickstarter website says that 5V DC @ 3+ amps (15+ watts) are required if powered through the GPIO pin(s). But it also says that up to 30 watts are required if powered through the USB-C connector.

My questions are:

1. Would a current RPI PoE+ HAT module (Type 2) work on a VisionFive 2 board ?
  2. Or is a different PoE module (e.g. Type 3) required for a VisionFive 2 board ?

VisionFive 2 is designed to be compatible with Raspberry Pi and can be used in theory, but has not been tested yet.

2 Likes

Interesting, is this the same as the VisionFive1? I have a spare Raspberry Pi 4 PoE hat (gen 1) that I could test it on.

Yes, there is also this POE header on VisionFive1, maybe you can try it.

Hey @balupton, did you test the PoE HAT? What are the results?

Didn’t test as was concerned about the original poe hat which is what I have not providing enough power and potentially damaging the board.

More to come, but the VisionFive2 just passed the smoke test with the Raspberry Pi PoE+ hat. LEDs lit, and the network port came online. More to come later. I’ll try to update here, and watch Hackaday for a full review including the PoE hat.

7 Likes

Hat works nicely so far with the “outer” LAN port. However, the fan is not spinning/cooling the chips.

It is controlled over i2c, on the rpi it’s dtoverlay=rpi-poe-plus and the code that controls it is in rpi-poe-fan.c

I’m surprised you got your poe hat to work. I’ve gone through many hours of hell over the past few days trying to figure out why none of the 5 or so different poe hats (meant for rpi’s) that i have just didn’t work with the VisionFive2. Now I haven’t searched the forums at all for this, but it seems as though the pinout for the poe header is incorrect. On Rpi’s the 2 pins closest to the side of the ethernet jack are vcc and the 2 pins behind are gnd. However on the VisionFive2 (at least mine) the pins are rotated 90* ccw, so the two pins closest to the edge of the board by the reset switch are vcc and the pins behind are gnd. Took me too long with my multimeter and breadboard to figure it out. Hope this helps anyone else.

1 Like

I forgot to mention (and I can’t stealth edit the post) that my board version is 1.3B.

I’m just running a 1GBit PoE Splitter with 12V/2A max (10usd). Works perfect.

1 Like