The VF2 runs Quake 3!

I used the branch of GitHub - zturtleman/ioq3: ZTM's ioq3 repo. called opengles1. Simply install the dependencies and run make in the ioq3 folder. I am typing this on my VF2 using firefox and it is really slow.

3 Likes

Hi,

Can you try run timedemo? Or simply enable cg_drawfps 1 and post average fps you’ve got?

I can try but not right now. Later today, I will do that and in addition I request that people attempt to recreate my results.

I ran the time demo and it gave me an average of 70.9 frames per second at 640x480 resolution Fullscreen with high texture detail and filtering.

2 Likes

I will describe how to do this right here

To get the code, run this command:

git clone GitHub - zturtleman/ioq3: ZTM's ioq3 repo. -bopengles1

cd ioq3
make -j4
Install dependencies as they come up. That’s what I did. Anyone that wants to help can come up with a list of things that are needed.
cd build/release- hit tab here
get the data and put it in the baseq3 folder alongside ioquake3.riscv
Run this command:
./ioquake3.riscv +set cl_renderer opengl1

4 Likes

In file included from code/client/cl_main.c:27:
code/client/…/sys/sys_local.h:28:17: fatal error: SDL_version.h: No such file or directory
28 | # include “SDL_version.h”
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [Makefile:2662: build/release-linux-riscv64/client/cl_main.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/user/ioq3’
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1400: targets] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/user/ioq3’
make: *** [Makefile:1316: release] Error 2

If you haven’t used apt-mark hold on all packages that need it do so now. Then run

sudo apt install libsdl2-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev

I might have missed a few

Interesting, thank you for the instructions. I’ve built it successfully on my Slackware riscv64 headless setup.

Actually, I don’t have a usable GUI setup with my two VF2’s at this moment because I naturally don’t have screen and keyboard at this time (I only have a laptop), but I’ll come back to these once I’ll have them. Sorry about that.

And regarding your benchmark - it’s better than any of old SGI ones and beats an i7 llvmpipe (I have 33fps according to it). Good to compare once IMG ships opensource drivers as proprietary ones are known to be built with quite generic CFLAGS.

2 Likes

Buy a cheap $5 keyboard on Alibaba and use a television if you own one.

Where can i get the data

Either buy the game from EBay or Steam, pirate the game (I don’t condone this but it’s easy to do and it’s certainly easier than the official channels) or just find the shareware version.

The data are just a bunch of renamed zips called pk3s. The pak0.pk3 is the file you need from a paid version if you actually want to play the full game. Open arena also provides Foss data and there’s always shareware

thank you very much

Did you see it running?

Not yet, I don’t currently have game files, I was recently trying to port Godot, did you try to succeed

Use this link maybe

http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/rel/081/oa081.zip

thank you very much