bootloader version:211102-0b86f96
␀␀
␀␀
␀␀
␀␀

It reports the bootloader version and just gets stuck there. Pushing the reset button just resets the board and gets it stuck again.

I’ve tried to perform bootloader recovery, and it seems to have completed successfully:

sudo ./jh7100-recover -D /dev/ttyUSB1 -r jh7100_recovery_boot.bin -b bootloader-JH7100-211102.bin.out -d ddrinit-2133-211102.bin.out 
Waiting for bootloader mode on /dev/ttyUSB1...

(C)SiFive
Bootloader mode active

Uploading recovery binary...
load 0x18000000
	Waiting for XMODEM request[C]...
	Sending jh7100_recovery_boot.bin 
[########################################] 100%  24081/24081 Bytes
do 0x18000000

----------Enter recovery mode----------
Updating bootloader...

Load file  ok

# do 0x18000000��H�UjҮ֬ˋ���	�W���Z�K������j"�"ي��"��՝5RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRj��IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
�S&&H�Y��W��/H���%%%%%%%%%%%%%%�C!%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%�C!L�]\�X�X��ootloader
1:updata ddr init
Select the function to test
 : 0

select 0
send a file by xmodem
	Sending bootloader-JH7100-211102.bin.out 
[########################################] 100%  9456/9456 Bytes
Awaiting confirmation...
idcode:0x1860C8
updata flash ok
done.
Updating ddrinit...

updata success
***************JH7100 recovery boot ***************
0:updata bootloader
1:updata ddr init
Select the function to test
 : 1

select 1
send a file by xmodem
	Sending ddrinit-2133-211102.bin.out 
[########################################] 100%  87540/87540 Bytes
Awaiting confirmation...
idcode:0x1860C8
updata flash ok
done.

Firmware update completed!

But still, the board doesn’t boot. Still gets stuck after

The board is powered by a 3A usb-c adapter and doesn’t have any other things plugged in. It seems like it was broken out of the box. How can I debug this or resolve the issue?

Hi amberdyne, I will contact you via Messages.

Hi, we’re also having this problem. Our board worked yesterday but this morning we couldn’t get it to boot. Same symptoms, and recovery also completes successfully without leading to a working boot.

Any idea on how to resolve this?

How long have you been using our board?

We’ve only been using it for two days. On the morning of day 3, it started getting stuck on the bootloader version:211102-0b86f96 line.

We did flash u-boot a few times as we’re modifying it, though I couldn’t imagine that we’ve been hitting the flash so hard that we broke it, and for the record it was consistently booting fine by the end of day 2.

Just would like to say that I also had this issue and had no luck getting it resolved. Ended up getting a new board which is working fine for now. Hoping that StarFive can get this issue resolved; not trying to buy a third board.

same when 5v power to vcc gpio io, but typec power on was ok.

Most users powered on by type-c , so no users have reported this problem, we will test it.

Has anyone gotten around this problem ?

I’ve been getting no help from support.
Julie contacted me assuring me someone would get in touch, but my board is still dead on arrival.

Sorry, the boards have been sold out and out of stock. The new boards are waiting for the factory to ship, resulting in a long after-sales time. Our after-sales will contact you within a week .

这个有解决的方案吗,我这边上电开机也是卡主了

I‘ll contact you with message.

Can someone state outright that boards with this sort of error are dead or damaged so I can stop hoping to repair it ?

The support did get in touch with me , but only in so much to ask me to ship it back and haven’t answered any of my questions.

Given that it sold out, I have zero hope of getting a replacement so if there’s a chance to debug it or repair it, I’d like to try that.
If it’s completely unrecoverable , please tell me so.

@amberdyne Thank you for your love of visionfive boards, we already have new ones in stock.
The issue board needs to ship back for inspection and repair, because there is a problem during the warrant period, allnet will replace it with a new board for you.

I am experiencing the same issue, with two brand-new boards (first boot). I noticed that the issue also occurs, when no TF card is inserted at all. Which shouldn’t be, as I understand it, since the RAM tests should run nevertheless. So it seems not to be an issue with the OS. Also a bootloader recovery did not change anything.
Is there any solution found in the meanwhile? Or is it a confirmed hardware issue? (I’ll have to return the boards, but I thought I try a quick request, maybe I can avoid the effort.)

Do you still have this problem? Is it random? Are these 2 boards the same problem?

I still have this problem and it is every time I try to boot. No exceptions. The two boards have the identical problem. This is why I wanted to ask here, because this seems to be unlikely. But the boards do not boot beyond the “bootloader version: 211102-0b86f96” line.

Is the Type-C power adapter 5V/ 3A?

Yes, I powered the boards via the USB-C port with a 5V/3A DC adapter and a cable which is capable transfering 20W. I use the GPIO UART interface with 11500baud for serial communication in normal mode and the degub pins with 9600 baud for boot mode. There are not periphials connected. I re-flashed the firmware (jh7100_recovery_boot, bootloader-JH7100-211102, ddrinit-2133-211102) successfully (got “Firmware update completed!”). I used the pre-installed TF card with Fedora and several own installations of Fedora. But even with no TF card inserted at all, both boards are stuck before ddrinit stage. The red LED is lighting when power is connected. It does not do anything other than that (blinking or the like). When going into boot mode (via debug pins) I can enter the boot mode CMD where I can show, do, rb/wb etc., but that does not help anything of course, but this console is working.

Could you take a picture of the output log of the serial port?