Many questions about the power supply and management

hi all! :slight_smile:

sorry for the lengthy message, partially i just try to make this thread to be a nice reference to everyone… :slight_smile: (i may try later to reduce it to the important bits, preferably without harming the context, or discarding anything valuable around here, and i’m also fine with aligning any collected info to fit into any central source! :slight_smile: )

so, if my order came from the eu, then may i hope for it arriving with an eu standard plug of the power supply (in the advanced kit; and while i saw no trace of such), or should i hurry and obtain a converter before it arrives?

(tomorrow afternoon i will go to the capital, so that would be a good day to hunt for a converter; its utc+2 here; and there is nothing urgent below, but take ur time! :slight_smile: it is almost here, and it would be sad, if i could only take nice pics about it, but couldn’t try it asap… :smiley: )

just for the rest of us, if someone asks for it before ordering, does that make any difference, or are there any related plans?

also, i have a 5V@2.4A power supply (“isy iwc 4002”, nothing much to see on the web about it by a very fast and shallow search; my also freshly obtained pinephone is fine with it (pp comes only with an usb-c cable), but that has a battery; and note that i consider this only as a temporary solution, just in case), and i guess it has no fast charging ability - so should i worry about giving it a try? i saw an other thread (weeks ago, i don’t have a preserved link, so i may have errors in recalling the case) about a power supply probably below the requirements (without exact details given there), that worked, but maybe not with hdmi connected, or something like that situation… should that be considered as mere luck, and maybe a matter of time before anything goes bad?

i’m more into sw than hw, so i don’t know what risks could i assume here, but i guess it depends on the consumption of the peripherals and the workload; and maybe it could malfunction when it reaches an edge case, like if it activates anything without sufficient power, and that could reveal anything unexpected - i guess… or is the power manager smart enough to monitor whether there is sufficient power before trying something? and if it isn’t, then is that a matter of hw or sw capability?

just as a good-to-know stuff, am i right that higher amperage wouldn’t do anything bad, as the controller wouldn’t consume more, or would it overwhelm the circuits? or real risks come only from surges (“spike” or over voltage, just for the rest of us), and from overheats?

i saw (probably in the docs) that the gpio pins have both individual and a collective max power that they can provide (i will update this if i find it again), but is there anything beyond that, that requires additional care?

has the official power supply fast charging ability? i bought it in the hope, that i can only buy a worse power supply by picking one randomly; basically by its specs, and one, that has a good balance between price and seemingly good quality materials, at least on the surface…

and lastly, the least relevant, but still a very important bit; can the hw be hurted by illegal instructions, or illegal instruction exceptions can be expected everywhere? the rv isa is kinda nice in itself, so i would like to try to play with them in machine mode, without an os, just for fun and learning, and i also consider to port luajit to rv, and illegal instructions may arise there, as the jit compiler generates machine code, and if i reach anything serious, then i may even aim for bare metal and machine mode execution… also, im interested in low level stuffs, like the bootloader, but i still learn this field for a long while now, just without real experience… (i hang on coreboot mailing list for a long while, i’ve read some portions of grub, i recently started to study p-boot (for the pinephone; partially based on u-boot), and i’m kinda puzzled about u-boot, but i aim for knowing that well too… :smiley: ) if illegal instructions are considered to be safe in general, then were those tested extensively? i guess even kernel devs would need to throw out a machine or two every other day if those wouldn’t be safe in general; but i still have less expectations about machine mode; and even the hw is experimental, that may mean undiscovered corners, where even steady hands may cause trouble; just how much afraid should i be about things like these? i’m afraid, that i won’t have a next chance any time soon, to buy a next one, if i set my new toy on fire, and i willingly let others do that, if that’s the case, while i still wouldn’t have time to become bored in higher levels, just the real feeling comes from exploring the risc-v isa itself…

what im aware of, is that i have read just recently on the wiki of postmarketos (yep, the pine, again… :smiley: otherwise i plan to use/port voidlinux on(/-to) both, that only has the groundwork for both devices so far now, and im currently working on a toolkit/installer, that in theory has no limits in supporting any distro with any differences and details handled, and probably it can be extended even beyond linux, but that would be long story even in itself, to go further… :smiley: ), that copy-paste of devicetree files to begin the porting with from similar devices requires the elimination of the portions related to power regulation, so i dare to believe that lowlevel sw engineering has very real dangers, and i hope this info may save some of us from bad things to come… :smiley:

anything i missed? :smiley:

extremely many thx for all of ur time, efforts, and any answers; im aware of no better and more trustworthy current device on the market that can be used for serious computing!!! i wish all the bests to all of u! :slight_smile:

i guess i don’t have permission to edit my initial message as a newbie, so as an update: i the charger arrived with an eu plug! :slight_smile:

1 Like