Linux 6.7 for full upstream?

Looks like the final linux patches were submitted last week.

https://rvspace.org/en/project/JH7110_Upstream_Plan

Once the last few are accepted does that mean distros like armbian can finally let us use something newer than 5.15 such as maybe 6.7 onwards?

3 Likes

One tiny fly in the ointment is that the 6.6 mainline release 2023-10-30 will with a very high probability become the next Long Term Supported linux kernel and then it will be another year before the next LTS kernel is selected. The reason is that it usually takes 9-10 weeks for the next new mainline kernel to be ready, so that would be early 2024 before 6.7 would be a mainline kernel and historically the LTS kernels are announced between October and December.

2 Likes

Earlier versions of those patches have been submitted quite for a while now. But submitted doesn’t mean accepted. There is ongoing discussion about those patches here: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/?q=JH7110

Kind regards!

2 Likes

Your assumption was right: Linux 6.6 Formally Becomes This Year's LTS Kernel - Phoronix
For next year, my crystal ball told me that 6.11 will be the LTS.

1 Like

“Full upstream” means everything besides kernel DRM driver for the GPU. So, it’s ok for server use but not for anything graphical.

2 Likes

Hello together

I got ready 6.6.3 (stable) + PCIE Patches and nvme works well.

Damian

2 Likes

For server use it is great, especially because of the far better nvme performance compared to the 5.15 kernel.
But no GPU or did you get that working too?

Hello @Nightwulf,

GPU at the moment doesnt work.

But for server purposes it works perfekt. And all required USB WLAN drivers are avialable

4 Likes

That is how far I have come too…I did have problems with HDMI but I guess, that is some timer or clock source I did miss while configuring the kernel.
What I tried was the open source GPU driver but that currently doesn’t support our specific chip.

2 Likes

I did an update today to 6.6.4 successfully.

Damian

2 Likes

Which config do you use for the kernel? Custom or adopted from 6.1 starfive dev tree?

Hello,

i use this config:

• some additional configs for USB WLAN device.
    Damian
2 Likes

Thx…I’ll compare mine to that one. Perhaps I can find the issue with my HDMI then. My approach is different. I use a completely self made bare config with only config items used on the VF2 set, no ramfs and all drivers compiled into the kernel, not as module.

1 Like

I’ll give 6.6.6 a try and verify the USB ports. I’m using external USB disk for extra storage.

no luck with 6.6.6: usb subsystem isn’t working. As says in GitHub - starfive-tech/linux at JH7110_VisionFive2_upstream usb support is still in progress.