GUI very slow after MESA recompil

hello,
I need some advice there.
I was trying to make my SDL2 programs works on the VisionFive, as it was failing at launch on a unknown ‘generic’ cpu error due to LLVM not supporting JIT for RISCV processors yet.
So i finally download LLVM source from git (after that ‘generic’ cpu problem was fixed), and recompil it only for RISCV target.
Then i needed to recompile MESA (the 21.3.8 was ok for avoiding JIT feature on RISCV target, and also ok because not too recent to avoid dependencies issue regarding libdrm version (2.4.102 on my Fedora version).
I recompile it with swrast driver (gallium(drivers), no DRI nor Vulkan drivers.

But then, after installing MESA libs and rebooting, all the GUI was very slow, so i thought i missed some accelerated driver at some point (it started to be unclear to me from there). From my installed MESA libs, i only get kms_swrast_dri.so and swrast_dri.so in /usr/local/lib64.

Testing glxgears binary, it claims to fails to open starfive : /usr/local/lib64/dri/starfive_dri.so (that was not build in previous steps, so not there, true).

Is this driver built using freelight-u-sdk repository in cross-compiling way ? Because i tried to follow the steps to build it, but from an Ubuntu 22.04, there’s quicky an error due to some change in linux compil, so quitting the attempt.

At last, just to validate that SDL2 programs would works with such LLVM / MESA recompiled stuff (even slowllllly), i recompil my SDL2 program, and it works (slowly)…

So finally ,how can i go back to a speed-normal GUI from there ? Thanks for in advance for any advice.

Hi SkonsFr:

Is this driver(starfive driver) built using freelight-u-sdk repository in cross-compiling way ?
freelight-u-sdk/linux/drivers/gpu/drm/starfive in buildroot compile environment

by the way, visionfive1 no GPU and unsupport openGL. And SDL2 render need openGL support.

how can i go back to a speed-normal GUI from there ?
Maybe you need to remove all of MESA libs and SDL2 libs and reboot. You need to compare with no any change version.

1 Like

thanks for your reply. I"ll try to rebuild the starfive driver.
I know there is no GPU, so how can we get some faster GUI using that Starfive driver ? Is this just 2D graphics acceleration through that driver ?). Is it like some enhanced framebuffer ?.
Sorry for this novice question, but thanks for the help anyway :wink:

Hi SkonsFr:

how can we get some faster GUI using that Starfive driver ?
Is this just 2D graphics acceleration through that driver ?
Starfive Driver has some optimizations for 2D Graphics, But we recommend, If you want to develop some GUI application, Please pay attention to our next generation products(visionfive2) which has add 2D graphics acceleration and GPU IC

Is it like some enhanced framebuffer ?
No

1 Like