Getting TigerVNC Server working to correctly serve display on Vision Five 2

I am trying to get a VNC server working on the Vision Five 2 with Debian 12 sid. The server starts after following the instructions, but i have no clue how to properly start a gnome-session in xstartup. If one does not define xstartup, the VNC server comes up with a black screen. Now, for the RISC-V platform there are maybe no standard VNC systems like Real VNC. Somehow the session is not starting properly or not at all. A nice xstartup file would be nice.

gnome-remote-desktop feature seems to be not working either with gnome-connections ms-rd://starfive.local is not accepted

have you started gnome on Wayland or on Xorg mode?
if you don’t know, default is Wayland nowadays, and can be changed in the icon in the bottom-right corner after selecting the username (but before sending the password)

Thanks for the hint. I took marginal notice of that option at an earlier time. I also found that the problem with TigerVNC server seems its lacking support of Wayland. gnome-remote-desktop, however is not yet supported properly in the GNOME version included in the Vision Five 2 Debian 12 sid image. It would be nice to have a working option for having a VNC / RDP server running with Wayland display server. There seems to be an option to use a SSH tunnel too.

I tried ssh -X and -Y options in the past, with mixed results: most applications open their windows on the VF2 monitor, disappointingly; only a few accepted to run remotely.

On the Raspberry Pi 4B Raspberry Pi OS, there is RealVNC included by default. That works nicely on the current Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit version maybe also the 64-bit version (which has also an older Gnome version not supporting Gnome-remote-desktop properly i think). I think all those things used to work nicely on older Debian versions before people started to meddle up by implementing the new Wayland display server. I hope, that one day not so far in future such things will work nicely again. It is so incredible, what rampage and obstruction is currently going on against the free and productive use of open-source software, especially networking protocols. It really needs a good and rock-solid foundation for open-source technology and open-source development to provide reliable and good quality of the results. Github alone does not guarantee free software without trapdoors, backdoors and other trojan horses to come about…

it doesn’t make sense to start a new project today prioritizing X over Wayland, especially for a chipset that does also GPU.
Otherwise said: your precious VNC will disappear also from raspian if it is not updated for Wayland.

2 Likes

I am indifferent to many things, but it seems very bad to me, how the overall quality of the Debian project gets bashed by such maneuvres. In the Bullseye release it was announced so proudly how about a claimed 10.000 old packages have been thrown out. Now there is not even a sound server with RTP and TCP shared sink support left just to name one example. Like this even commercial projects will fail soon. If everything is torn apart for making free and open things closed and commercial, then this will also concern commercial users in negative ways as they were also relying in many places on the open-source free software infra-structure.

Debian/Ubuntu work by jumps and prioritize stability… until the end of life of the LTS branch of interest, which is a considerable time.
The FOSS community develops what it wants, and if nobody follows some projects anymore, they fall out of history. Especially network-related packages need to be discarded to avoid security issues.
As for commercial products on top of FOSS: they need to branch out on some LTS, and have a limited life, which in general is also what they want, to move on to the next product.
If the company is good it protects they packages that it wants contributing to the community, otherwise if they just take they face the issue that sometimes they miss features and nobody helps them…

If you’re using X11, then x11vnc is best way to get a remote desktop mapping. Use it over ssh, or install a convenient ssvnc package.

You also might try playing with xrdp project: they provide a ready to run scripts to start X11 server inside a RDP session. Works like a charm for me. But due to lack of even a Mesa3d llvmpipe, my X11 displays are unaccelerated right now, let alone true GPU accel which is not there.

For Wayland I dunno (I feel I never will give up X11 once FVWM and desktop freedom will be brought there too, gnome or any user interface FD.o stuff is purely disgusting)

2 Likes