Demo 13 - Using Temperature Sensor to Control Fan Speed on VisionFive 2

According to StarFive, developers have successfully used temprature sensor on VisionFive/VisionFive 2, and the specific instructions are as follows:

1. Preparation

• Development board: VisionFive/VisionFive 2 SBC
  • Temprature sensor: SHT30 temprature sensor
  • Motor drive module: 5V DC motor drive module
  • Motor: 5V DC motor with fan
  • Digital Power: DC CNC power supply, which is used to power the motor
  • DuPont Line: Many

2. The principial of fan control

The specific motor driver module and motor used in this demo are as follows:
motor driver

On this motor drive module, there are PWM and DIR in the input interface, where DIR is used to control the direction of motor rotation and PWM is used to control the speed of motor rotation.
The core of PWM is the duty cycle, which is the duration of high level maintenance within a cycle, thereby controlling the average voltage during the cycle:
In this demo, we first read the current temperature value from the temperature sensor, then perform a certain conversion, and set the PWM output duty cycle to achieve control of the average voltage of the motor, ultimately manifested as fan speed control.

Due to the relatively high operating current of the motor, it is generally necessary to provide separate power supply to the motor, and the motor drive module is usually used for power supply and control.

3. Connection

At first, refer to the following figure and connect the temprature sensor and motor driver to VisionFive:

Connection:
Connection

Note:
The power supply voltage should be determined based on the actual sensor used. The module in this demo uses a 5V power supply voltage.

4. Coding

In this demo, the use of SHT30 temperature sensor and humidity sensors has been explained in detail in VisionFive 2 SBC Temperature and Humidity Sensor Use. Please read this in advance to understand.
In addition, StarFive also provides an application note (Python) - Using VisionFive 2 to Make An LED Blink at the PWM Frequency, demonstrating how to use PWM to control the LED. The PWM control in this demo is based on this application guide, please review and understand in advance.

Then, we write the following program:

# file: ~/projects/sht3x/sht3x_fan_test.py

import time
from sensirion_i2c_driver import I2cConnection
from sensirion_i2c_sht.sht3x import Sht3xI2cDevice
from sensirion_i2c_driver.linux_i2c_transceiver import LinuxI2cTransceiver
import VisionFive.gpio as GPIO

GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)		#set pin numbering system

fan_pin = 22
GPIO.setup(fan_pin, GPIO.OUT)
p = GPIO.PWM(fan_pin, 1000)
p.start(0)
p.ChangeDutyRatio(0)

# Open SHT3X device
i2c_transceivervice = LinuxI2cTransceiver('/dev/i2c-0')
sht3x = Sht3xI2cDevice(I2cConnection(i2c_transceivervice))

while True:
    # read the value of temperature and humidity
    temperature, humidity = sht3x.single_shot_measurement()
    if temperature.degrees_celsius<=25:
        fan_speed = 0
    elif temperature.degrees_celsius>=35:
        fan_speed = 0
    else:
        fan_speed = int((10 - (35-temperature.degrees_celsius)) * (100/10))

# Print current data and calculate result
    print("{:0.2f} °C , {:0.2f} %RH, fan_speed={:d}".format(
        temperature.degrees_celsius,
        humidity.percent_rh, fan_speed))

# Set the fan speed
    p.ChangeDutyRatio(fan_speed)

time.sleep(1.0)

In the above code, we first read the temperature value from SHT30, and then convert it to the corresponding PWM duty cycle based on its value:

• When the temperature value is less than or equal to 25 ℃, set to 0 and the fan stops

• When the temperature value is greater than or equal to 35 ℃, set to 100 and the fan runs at full speed

• When the temperature value is between 25 ℃ and 35 ℃, the duty cycle=(10- (35- current temperature value) * 10

The core code of the PWM output control section is as follows:

p = GPIO.PWM(fan_pin, 1000)
p.start(0)
p.ChangeDutyRatio(0)

Among them:

• Use GPIO.PWM (fan_pin, 1000) to specify the output GPIO and switching frequency

• Then start PWM0

• When usingChangeDutyRatio to set the output duty cycle, the maximum is 100.

5. Operation result

To run the above program, you also need to install the corresponding StarFive GPIO support library, as follows:

# Install extension library
sudo pip show VisionFive.gpio

After writing, run sht3x_fan_test.py and then change the ambient temperature of SHT30 to trigger a change in fan speed.

python3 sht3x_fan_test.py
  • In normal condition, the fan speed is average
    In normal condition
    In normal condition
    In normal condition

• When the temperature is high, you can press and hold the black probe part of SHT30 to increase the fan speed
    When temperature is high
    When temperature is high

• When the temperature is low, you can use a frozen iron rod to contact the black probe part of SHT30, lower it to 25 ℃ or below, and the fan stops
    When temprature is low
    When temprature is low

6. Summary

In this demo, we learned how to use the temperature sensors to control fan speed.

There are many practical application scenarios for PWM control, except for in fan control, which is widely used in lighting control, servo control, robot control, aircraft control, and other aspects.

For example, there are many so-called eye protection lights that actually control the output of PWM through a light sensor to control the brightness of the light.

2 Likes

A nice addition might be a PID (Proportional, Integral, Derivative) controller. When dealing with mechanical systems a PID controller will slow down the rate of physical wear and tear, gentle slow changes in speed are preferable to changes from minimum speed up to maximum speed or vica versa. Slow changes produce less stress and strain in mechanical systems.
https://pypi.org/project/simple-pid/

A PID controller has one input and one output, in this case the input would be the temperature and the output would be the duty cycle of the PWM ( Pulse-width modulation or PDM pulse-duration modulation).

The P is the error between the calculated set point and actual measured temperature. This compensates for any “now” offsets.
The I is the error between the calculated set point and actual measured temperature, integrated over time. This compensates for any slowly changing “past” offsets.
The D is the error between the calculated set point and actual measured temperature, differential between the last errors. This compensates for any rapidly changing “future” offsets.

2 Likes

Thank you for your additional idea. This has provided us with a new path to achieve the demo.

using cpu temperature to pwm control the cpu fan speed

put an npn or n-fet from gnd to fan -, current limit the base/gate
base/gate to PWM0 on GPIO46 header pin 32

sending the temperature to pwm0/duty_cycle can control the cpu fan speed
temperature * 1000
temp when fan turns off MIN=20000 (20 degC)
temp when fan is 100% MAX=60000 (60 degC)
echo 0 > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/export
echo $(($MAX-$MIN)) > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/period
echo $((`cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp` -$MIN)) > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/duty_cycle
echo 1 > /sys/class/pwm/pwmchip0/pwm0/enable

put this stuff variously in an init and cron script
adjust the MIN & MAX depending on your fan

2 Likes