Ceph on VisionFive 2

With four USB 3.0 ports and an NVMe slot (which can take things like a SATA adaptor), the StarFive VisionFive 2 already makes a fantastic NAS device.

I already have a few hosting NFS shares with up to 12 drives each flawlessly. And they don’t use much power at all.

But I would love to be able to cluster them properly…

Because of this, I have been trying to get Ceph running fully on Gentoo on the VisionFive 2 for quite some time now.

Some parts of it work great, and I’m working on converting the x86/amd64-specific instructions to riscv

MAKEOPTS:

-mabi=lp64d -march=rv64imafdc_zicsr_zba_zbb -mcpu=sifive-u74 -mtune=sifive-7-series -O2 -pipe -fdiagnostics-color=always -frecord-gcc-switches --param l1-cache-size=32 --param l2-cache-size=2048

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this, and if they have had any luck.

2 Likes

Successfully built. Required A LOT of changes to the codebase. Testing looks promising so far.

Will provide links to git soon, once everything is sorted out, and when I get around to it, will submit upstream patches to Ceph for autobuild for JH7110 chip.

What does that mean? It means that you could quite possibly replace a big clunky power-hungry JBOD with a cluster of JH7110 boards.