Any experience so far with OpenJDK on riscv64?

Hi,

still waiting for my VisionFive board but wanted to ask if anyone already develops or runs Java applications natively?
Specifically interested into OpenJDK 8.

From what I could find there aren’t much pre-built packages available. Actually found just one for openSUSE.
Any hints and tips appreciated.

StarFive currently does not have OpenJDK support on VisionFive. But we know that there are some developers from RISC-V foundation talking about OpenJDK. Hope the following chat logs could give you some hints.

groups.google.com

lists.riscv.org

openjdk.java.net

@Admin thank you very much :slight_smile:

If you’d like to try Arch POWER, the repos have OpenJDK 11 (jdk-openjdak11) and 17 (jdk-openjk) packages available.

The experience won’t be a fluent one though as there is no JIT support for RISC-V (yet, until OpenJ9 perhaps get’s ported [1]), so one is stuck with the Zero interpreter.

[1] Porting OpenJ9 to RISC-V · Issue #5058 · eclipse-openj9/openj9 · GitHub

Thank you. Unfortunately I’m stuck with OpenJDK 8. The application itself is pretty old and was developed with 6 or 7 :sweat_smile:

Yeeouch… 8 is still from the time people were happily running Oracle’s distribution and found themselves cut off one morning. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I hear you, I do have a heavily patched JDK8 around for old Dell equipment’s management apps… Geez.

Looks like we have some progress regarding offical support of riscv64 if I take a look at those links [1][2][3][4] - starting with JDK 19:

[1] JEP proposed to target JDK 19: 422: Linux/RISC-V Port
[2] 8276799: Implementation of JEP 422: Linux/RISC-V Port · openjdk/jdk@5905b02 · GitHub
[3] JEP 422: Linux/RISC-V Port
[4] https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8276799