VisionFive 2 Debian Image 202303 Released

@Mrb0y There is a script in /opt to fix that.

2 Likes

Works great with MIPI Radxa 8HD display! But only in portrait orientation. Is it possible to rotate to landscape?

i installed xfce4 but after login of xfce the gnome GUI comes back, i tried to uninstall gnome but i have problems to use xfce.

I’m waiting for a next official release, I hope the xfce GUI is maintained by the team

Hey! @Michael.Zhu , Would the new Image be released this month?

There should be a script in /opt to fix this dreadful aberration. The script should be run immediately after a fresh install. This (202303) release is a show-case for wayland which I abhore. I am old-fashioned and prefer xorg and XFCE.

Aubrey

1 Like

Logging into the GUI is a two step process. The login manager runs first, by default this is GDM but if you install XFCE and select lightDM when asked, you will get that instead.

It is on this login screen that you get to select which desktop to use.

• There is a ‘cog’ icon in the lower right of the GDM login screen. Click and you can select XFCE instead of Gnome.
  • In LightDM there is a icon in the top bar to select which desktop to use, it not obvious but is to the right, before the accessibility and clock items. This opens a select list of available desktops.

You need to select XFCE specifically, before logging in. Otherwise it remembers your last (default) choice of Gnome + Wayland.

However…

… probably means you have damaged the install enough to need a reinstall.

I can see the USB Wireless dongle (and a lot of messages from it in the kernel logs).

But did anybody manage to take it into AP mode? nmcli seems to try and fail after a while. Is this even supposed to be possible (is the hardware theoretically able to support AP mode)?

How can I switch from Gnome to XFCE in the 202303 image? Gnome is being extremely slow for me in both Wayland and XFCE. Like, it takes 5 seconds to register mouse movement.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info, now it’s much clearer for me to switch from gnome to xfce.

I let it go because I have the xfce 202302 release on eMMC and I’m happy with it.

I’m waiting for the new releases to play with the microSD and then transfer to eMMC.

who knows if the next releases will allow you to boot from NVME, I look forward to it

Sorry for the late response. yeah, no official release for April. We are focusing on improving performance like GPU / VPU acceleration, chromium build, nvme boot etc.

12 Likes

Hi. As not quickly finding any more suitable thread, a small wish for the next Debian release:

Would it be possible to enable CONFIG_CIFS kernel option by default in the next release. That option enables support for Windows/Samba network file protocols and allows mounting Windows/Samba network drives & setting up a SMB server into Linux system?

That would save at least me from building my own kernel + likely someone else has similar needs too.

3 Likes

I am curious, you mentioned the additional pre-built packages as instructured from the release docs - which docs, and which packages?

Maybe reading this will help you:

1 Like

As @SunWukong says, the release docs, which are linked many places here.

However, it’s not very obvious that this needs to be done since it’s in the ‘minimal image’ section and not, imho, very well emphasized:

Some packages particular are not available to download via apt/apt-get, and is provided by StarFive

There is a script prepared so that you can install the packages (and its runtime dependencies) with the run of a script. You will just need to run:

wget https://github.com/starfive-tech/Debian/releases/download/v0.7.1-engineering-release-wayland/install_package_and_dependencies.sh
chmod +x install_package_and_dependencies.sh
./install_package_and_dependencies.sh

This script will help to install the packages provided by StarFive. Feel free to customize the script to suit your needs.

2 Likes

Got 202303 image installed with color correction, firefox, xfe and requirements for building kernels. However, I don’t know which kernels and dtbs are available and the advantages of installing them. also would like to have the icons show up on the desktop instead of having to open Settings

I don’t think there’s any advantage to installing kernels/dtbs unless there’s specific missing hardware support you’re trying to fix.

In terms of icons for applications, I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but you just press the windows key (or whatever it is on your keyboard), or move mouse to top left corner, and then the search bar appears at the top and your pinned and active applications in the dock at the bottom).
Just type in the name of the application you want (or click on the grid icon in the dock), and once it runs you can right-click on it’s icon pin it to the dock).

If you want the dock to be permanently visible and/or on the left side of the screen (e.g. like Ubuntu) this can be achieved by installing / using Gnome extensions/tweaks…

1 Like

any news about VisionFive2 Software v3.0.4? or any tutorial to upgrade kernel of the debian image?

2 Likes
3 Likes

anyone had compile this new version and succesfull booted the new kernel with the debian img?

1 Like

@st3g4n0
Experience VisionFive v2 day01: BOOTING FROM NVME