Armbian for StarFive V1 (build system Ubuntu\Debian)

thank you. i had assumed that that was already part of the images.

This procedure needs to be performed only once, so the script is not included in the images.

Right, understood its a one-shot thing, just thought it might have been baked in just to avoid the extra step. But i updated and it worked great, booted Armbian just like its supposed to :slight_smile: Compiling netdata now.

Thanks again.

http://armbian.lane-fu.com/rneese/riscv/ is where all my images go for now untill we get a server goign

4 Likes

Ver 20221127 kernel 6.1.0-rc4

Hello. Do you can publish intruction how to build own kernel from source? I see some like it here GitHub - starfive-tech/linux , but what diffenece between it and ubuntu`s mainline. Or if i want to build fresh kernel like 6.2 what i should to do?

In the first message of the topic there is a description of the steps on how to run the build. After launching, select the menu item ā€œcreating only the kernel and u-bootā€. The system will automatically build a new kernel and create DEB packages for normal installation with dpkg\apt commands. If you want to change the kernel configuration, select the appropriate item when starting the build and get a menu for configuration settings on the screen (analogous to the make menuconfig command). If you need changes in the source code, either create the appropriate patches, or use the CREATE_PATCHES=yes option, details about it are described in the documentation for the Armbian build system.

https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Options/

Please note, you can use the Armbian build system on the device itself (StarFive) or on a PC, the system will do all the necessary steps for pre-configuration itself, you only need to tell it what you want to get at the output - the full image or just the kernel.

2 Likes

Does your VisionFive 2 image boot OOTB with the up-to-date official/default SPI U-Boot provided by StarFive? My impression was that it requires a dedicated FAT partition 2 to find uEnv.txt. I see you defined distro_bootpart=1 in it, so probably I failed to understand the exact order in which U-Boot (on SPI) runs the commands/variables defined in its environment, and it has a fallback to find and load uEnv.txt on a single ext4 partition as well.

No, this version is only for StarFive-1

1 Like

This is for VisionFive 2, and it actually does boot with official SPI bootloader, which is quite surprising to me, as it uses a single ext4 partition only.

Another difference between its uEnv.txt and the one of StarFiveā€™s images is that boot_targets=distro mmc1 dhcp instead of boot_targets=distro mmc0 dhcp (SD vs eMMC). But those two changes alone do not allow it to boot, when I try with own images. As far as I can see from Armbian sources and testing to erase the empty place at 1-3 MiB offset, there is no U-Boot on the image either, which could of course be easily configured to boot from that partition layout.

Tomorrow the team member with the board receives a UART adapter, which should reveal details.

See the tag at the top where it says ā€œvisionfiveā€ and not ā€œvisionfive2ā€, I would suggest that you create a new thread about VisionFive 2 and armbian (or riscvbian, if that is what it will eventually be called) and not post in a thread about a different board with a different SoC (JH7100).

1 Like

Ah right, I just saw ā€œStarFiveā€ in the heading and the link to both VisionFive modelsā€™ images by rneese, both giving the impression it is about both models, or ā€œArmbian for StarFiveā€ SBCs in general.

1 Like

Do you have a link to the source code from which your version of the system is built?

rneeseā€™s builds are done via official Armbian sources (at least as far as I could see according to their content):

I actually thought that your fork would have been merged with the large RISC-V related commit recently, but I see now that it diverges significantly. It probably makes sense to compare and merge good differences from your fork upstream, before it gets more difficult?

1 Like

Version 20230702-current with kernel 6.2 for StarFive 1 (jh7100).

When starting Debian with DE XFCE\IceWM, there is a bug, immediately at the first start the system switches to Lightdm, to start correctly, switch to the first console (Ctl+Alt+F1) and perform the initial configuration of the system, and reboot system.

With a number of limitations, you can even watch videos in windowed mode using the PAROLE player and a USB sound card.