Wireless USB

anyone any success with this?
What brand is most suitable?

1 Like

I’m using rtl8822bu (USB D-Link Corp. DWA-181 AC1300 802.11ac) without problems.

2 Likes

I’ll point you to this thread, but @nugu53 has already pointed you to most important thing covered in the thread.

I’m using the USB WiFi dongle that I ordered at the same time as the VF2 board:

$ lsusb | grep -i win
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 3452:6600 ESWIN 6600U

Wireless USB ?
USB WIFI Network Adapter ?
OR,USB Port Without USB-line ?

If USB Wifi , there are some choosen with in kernel driver. But you need build your self kernel.
If USB without line, the better choose is use USB over Ethernet.

1 Like

Hi,

its a generic wifi USB dongle from the PiHut.
802.11n
Will look into seeing if i can build but haven’t had luck in previous attempt to ‘build’ a common lisp - sbcl.
Thanks

What is the USB VID:PID (VendorID:ProductID) shown by lsusb (you may require sudo apt install usbutils first before you can execute lsusb) for your “generic” WiFi USB dongle.

See my post above for an example USB VID(4-digit hexadecimal):PID(4-digit hexadecimal)

1 Like

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 148f:5370 Ralink technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adaptor

A quick check in /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids
VID: 148f Ralink Technology, Corp.
PID: 5370 RT5370 Wireless Adapter
After a quick check the StarFive linux kernel I would say that if you re-compile the kernel with “RT2800USB=m” and “RT2800USB_RT53XX=m” in your .config file it will probably work.
I checked and no module is currently created by default in the StarFive “engineering” Debian distribution for a RT5370.

$ zgrep -i RT2800USB /proc/config.gz
$ zgrep -i RT2800USB_RT53XX /proc/config.gz
$

As for howto recompile the kernel search the forum for “scmversion” and you will find something useful. Or there is a document for cross-compiling a kernel and modules on an x64 machine. https://doc-en.rvspace.org/VisionFive2/SDK_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html.

1 Like

thanks. i’ll give it a try over the weekend hopefully

1 Like