Upstream status of VisionFive 2's hardware support

Now that I see an increase in the activity on the StarFive forums (and also because my board is arriving soon!), I need to know what is the upstream status of the forked software. Looking at StarFive Tech’s GitHub repository, three of the most important pieces of software that I care about (in the order listed) are:

1. u-boot
  2. opensbi
  3. linux

So what is the upstream status of these software (most importantly u-boot)?

1 Like

I’ve seen a link in the pinned “VisionFive 2 Quick Links” for the upstream status of that at VisionFive 2 Quick Links - #3 by dtometzki

4 Likes

I had to dig a little deep, but I found the official JH7110 upstream status page, which hopefully, will be updated when StarFive gets notified.

2 Likes

While looking through the u-boot based kernel installation in Debian i came over a nice example what the work towards upstream finally means:

root@starfive:~# apt-cache search linux-image
linux-headers-6.1.0-4-riscv64 - Header files for Linux 6.1.0-4-riscv64
linux-image-6.1.0-4-riscv64-dbg - Debug symbols for linux-image-6.1.0-4-riscv64
linux-image-6.1.0-4-riscv64 - Linux 6.1 for 64-bit RISC-V platforms
linux-image-riscv64-dbg - Debugging symbols for Linux riscv64 configuration (meta-package)
linux-image-riscv64 - Linux for 64-bit RISC-V platforms (meta-package)

… not yet real, but really ongoing …

There’s a decent chance the Linux kernel 6.3 will land enough of the patches to boot the board. Several patches have been accepted, and quite a few more are getting minor tune-ups. The 6.3 merge window is just about to open, I expect several more of these to get accepted. There is important work that hasn’t even been submitted yet, but it takes time.

[PATCH v1 00/17] Basic StarFive JH7110 RISC-V SoC support is where the latest U-boot support was sent in. There have some minor changes requested, still. So expect a V3 at least before those get accepted.

OpenSBI support seems to have landed, but that’s the element I know the least about.

7 Likes