Ubuntu 22.04 LTS has a RISC-V version - anyone got this running on VisionFive V1?

I think I need to modify something in the image to make it boot
Right?

Sorry - totally out of my depth. Donā€™t know.

Is there anyone figure how to run server edition of Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS yet?

By the way we can boot livecd

1. From fedora image need take jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb and copy to boot cd card to path dtb/sifive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
  2. From fedora image read the file /boot/boot/uEnv.txt
    Then we turn power on enter commands
fdt_high=0xffffffffffffffff
initrd_high=0xffffffffffffffff

scriptaddr=0x88100000
script_offset_f=0x1fff000
script_size_f=0x1000

kernel_addr_r=0x84000000
kernel_comp_addr_r=0x90000000
kernel_comp_size=0x10000000

fdt_addr_r=0x88000000
ramdisk_addr_r=0x88300000

load mmc 0:1 $fdt_addr_r dtb/sifive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb
load mmc 0:1 $kernel_addr_r EFI/boot/bootriscv64.efi
2 Likes

But it doesnā€™t seem to work.
Stoped on

EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernelā€¦
EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
EFI stub: Loaded initrd from LINUX_EFI_INITRD_MEDIA_GUID device path
EFI stub: Exiting boot servicesā€¦

1 Like

If you follow the guide Create Debian System image on RISC-V VisionFive created by @Houge_Langley you will end up having a bootable 22.04 LTS image with whatever kernel you want :slight_smile:

The how-to isnā€™t 100% complete and some steps are not necessary, others are missing or are faulty due to formatting issues caused by the forum software but overall it gives a good guidance on how to create an image :heart:

Some parts are better described in the video though.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m currently running on my SBC:

1 Like

I did it xD. I created system image with ubuntu server 22.04 lvm 5.17.4. Can you check it?
login: user
password: star5
Ubuntu Server 22.04 LVM linux.5.17.4-riscv64

Fist attempt had failure by debootstap.
After a several time i decided to use qemu for build image. This looks like a good result.

2 Likes

Is this image has canonical kernel that support OpenZFS?

I dont know. Most probably not.
I took this instruction GitHub - starfive-tech/linux at visionfive-5.17.y for build the kernel and enabled a support of lvm. The ubuntu server installer require a kernels lvm support.
I think u can build your own kernel with ā€˜bindeb-pkgā€™ direct on a board and install it like a deb package
If you will use this image before install new kernel need copy the file /boot/dtb-5.17.4-visionfive-star5-build2`` to /boot/dtb-YOU_KERNEL_VERSION_NAMEfor generate valid grub entry byupdate-grub```

1 Like

29GB :slight_smile:

Can you publish a corrected step-by-step instruction guide? I am sure many would appreciate it. Thanks a lot for the information this far anyway.

1. download the zipped image
  2. unzip it (you will get img file that has size of 29GB or 31GB)
  3. flash it to SDCARD using BalenaEtcher
  4. insert the SDCARD to your VisionFire SoC then boot to it

I tried it, the kernel missing squashfs and snap cannot work because of that,

I tried to install official kernel then I restarted the board and visionfive kernel didnā€™t change :frowning:

1 Like

I will have a look at it later this week. Currently Iā€™m trying to write a simple Bash script to do all the work :+1:

1 Like

I am pretty sure this wonā€™t help but if Fedora is already installed, can this Fedora "media writer toolā€™ create another distro ?

I did a build kernel with snap and squashfs support. Now systemd loading withoud errors.

2 Likes

After installing:

1. sudo cp /usr/lib/linux-image-5.17.4-visionfive-foobar-26042022-1/starfive/jh7100-starfive-visionfive-v1.dtb /boot/dtb-5.17.4-visionfive-foobar-26042022-1
  2. sudo sudo update-grub
2 Likes

Broken url? linux-5.17.4-visionfive-foobar-260422022.zip ā€” ŠÆŠ½Š“ŠµŠŗс.Š”ŠøсŠŗ