Can't get Ubuntu 23.04 to run

Hello guys,
received my VF2 yesterday and got it successfully to run latest Debian 202306 Image. I flashed the latest U-Boot/SPL with mtd-tools and it restarted successful.

3.1.5: Releases · starfive-tech/VisionFive2 (github.com)

However with latest Bootloader I’m not able to get this image to run.
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/23.04/release/ubuntu-23.04-preinstalled-server-riscv64+visionfive2.img.xz

What am I doing wrong? Latest Bootloader and burned Ubuntu to SD-Card. DIPs all 0.

Am I missing something? 23.10 daily isnt running as well.

Cheers

Hello @XeroX - I’m not sure I understand, I think you’d have to have this set to boot anything from SDcard, but:

On my VisionFive2 board, 1.3B the 2 dip switches have to be set to 1-right and 2-left to boot from SDcard.
To clarify, with the board facing you and the large “StarFive” above the JH7110 chip readable, the top switch has to pushed right (1-on) and the bottom switch left (2-off).

1 Like

Thank you. Actually I understood that I’ve the set it to 0,0 for FLASH, as the Image does not contain any UBoot/SPL Loader.

According to this: RISC-V/StarFive VisionFive 2 - Ubuntu Wiki

Can your VF2 boot from 202306-sd.img ?
If it is run successfully, try this:

1. backup 202306’s /lib/modules.
  2. Format 202306’s / partition.
  3. Copy ubuntu’s rootfs to / patition which you formated.
  4. Restore /lib/modules.
  5. fix /etc/fstab.

This is let you use 202306’s kernel & uboot config to run ubuntu.
VF2’s uboot/spl seems have some “hard-write configure”.

1 Like

Thank you I may try this.

I’m able to boot every Debian Image as mentioned above and I’m able to boot the provided Archlinux Image overhere: Arch Linux Image for VisionFive 2 - Linux Distros - RVspace Forum

Ah, I see, and you’re beyond my understanding, however I will mention-ask- the wiki mentions having a USB-TTL cable hooked up:

Connect to the UART using a UART-TTL USB adapter. For accessing the serial console you can use picocom:

picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0

Insert the SD card and power on the board.

When booting the first time wait until you see an output line confirming that cloud-init has finished.

Did you do that and get the message on the 2nd machine? I think that’s what they’re talking about in the wiki, but I’m really in the dark here.

1 Like

I didn’t. I expected it to boot with network and ssh. I will hook one up when I can get the one from my company in my hands. I think this is the key.

Currently quiet happy with Archlinux.

1 Like

i’m having the issue with the ubuntu 23.04 image. However I have an NVMe
(i didnt not have problems with my debian image i wiped away)

i burned the image to the nvme, but it is giving this error:

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
** Invalid partition 3 **
Couldn't find partition nvme 0:3
Can't set block device
Importing environment from 1/0 ...
## Warning: Input data exceeds 1048576 bytes - truncated
## Info: input data size = 1048578 = 0x100002
## Error: "boot2" not defined
pci enum ...

IDE device 0: Vendor: 0x1987 Rev: EDFM80.1 Prod: 7E9607331EBE00233190
            Type: Hard Disk
            Capacity: 244198.3 MB = 238.4 GB (500118192 x 512)
** Invalid partition 3 **
Couldn't find partition nvme 0:3
Can't set block device
## Warning: defaulting to text format
Card did not respond to voltage select! : -110
ethernet@16030000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete......... TIMEOUT !
phy_startup() failed: -110FAILED: -110ethernet@16040000 Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete....... done

Found the mistake. The VF2 is delivered with 1:1 UART Settings. I thought this is 0:0 QSPIO setting :smiley:

Works now

2 Likes