Any sensor or power information available on VF2 board?

I was wondering if the board contains any sensors with respect to temperature and power draw, amps or wattage?
Specifically the PMIC AXP15060 may have some kind of retrieval of power in/output, accessible via I2C. Unfortunately i have a hard time locating the datasheet for the AXP15060.
Does anyone have some more information on this matter?

1 Like

Hi,

I’m not sure about power, but the SoC has a temperature sensor that can be read from /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input.

1 Like

check this: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

2 Likes

Thanks for the datasheet.
Looks like there’s no current sensing, and no way to access the temperature and voltage values, though.

If you install lmsensors you get the heat value from the cpu.
At least i guess its the cpu its not written what sensor it reads.

But there is at least this sensor.

you can power down/reset via i2cset command :sweat_smile:

See my comment in the heatsinking thread, there’s only one sensor that lmsensors can identify and that’s probably the CPU temperature. lm_sensors is pretty x86-oriented so it would presumably need explicit support added for the sensors on the VF2. Having said that I haven’t tried i2cdetect because some systems don’t like their I2C devices being poked, has anyone else tried this?

1 Like

If you dig through the Super Early Bird board schematic (1Gbit+100Mbit) the only hardware outside of the JH7110 that talks I2C are:

DSI_I2C_SDA_GPIO2 J1 - MIPI_TX
DSI_I2C_SCL_GPIO3 J1 - MIPI_TX

CSI_I2C_SCL(GPIO16) J2 - MIPI_RX0
CSI_I2C_SDA(GPIO17) J2 - MIPI_RX0

HDMI_I2C_SCL_GPIO0 J8 - HDMI
HDMI_I2C_SDA_GPIO1 J8 - HDMI

PMIC_I2C_SCL_GPIO19 PMIC:U22(AXP15060) & EEPROM:U30(GT24C04A)
PMIC_I2C_SDA_GPIO20 PMIC:U22(AXP15060) & EEPROM:U30(GT24C04A)

In theory if a connected MIPI (Mobile Industry Processor Interface) DSI (Display Serial Interface), or a MIPI CSI (Camera Serial Interface), or HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) monitor had, and allowed access to, temperature/voltage/fan speed sensors you “might” be able to see that if you knew the registers to set and query. But even if the registers existed and were accessible, they would change by make and model that was connected at the time.

I checked the datasheet for the EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) used by the PMIC (Power Management IC) and there are no registers listed for any internal sensors. It would be a bit unusual if there were.

3 Likes

Install (apt) btop. It will give you a superficial overview of activity, including temps.
I have a compile running now with CPU temperature @ 74C.

Aubrey

3 Likes

I dropped this hillbilly cooler on to keep the temps under control while doing compiles:

IMG_20230116_184558

It’s just a length of aluminium bar dropped on top of the CPU that wicks the heat away, it’s also got a fair amount of thermal inertia so deals well with burst of heat buildup. This is just temporary until the NB radiator arrives.

Another thing to consider, which I did to try and keep the temps down, is not to use -j4 in the build (if you’re building with make) but keep it on a single core, this will take a bit longer but should reduce heat buildup.

5 Likes